Use this guide for healthy snack ideas for kids and toddlers to make packing school lunches easy! These homemade snack recipes and store-bought snack ideas are quick to pack in a lunchbox and eaten at school. Even picky eaters will love these great snacks!
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
What are Good School Snack Ideas for Kids?
When packing school snacks balancing flavors and nutrition is key. A great snack includes two choices, one sweet and one salty.
Packing nutritious snacks with healthy fats, fiber, and protein is a great way to keep kids full and fueled.
Many of these snack ideas for kids work for after-school snacks too! All of the ideas are designed to be quick, easy, and easy for making ahead or meal prepping.
Recipes for Homemade Snack Ideas for Kids
Try making one of these delicious snacks for a homemade option!
Full of whole grains, simple with a bit of sweetness from dark chocolate chips!
Protein-packed and full of delicious pizza flavor.
This easy snack is a great source of protein!
These little bites will satisfy your sweet tooth!
Cheaper to make and less ingredients than the frozen version.
This is a great healthy snack you can serve with full-fat Greek yogurt to keep you full and satisfied until your next meal!
Try this allergy-friendly snack idea that kids will love!
Make a big batch of these to meal prep for an entire week of snacks.
A fun and easy way to eat your veggies!
This recipe is a great opportunity for adding veggies into breakfast!
Another gluten-free kid-friendly snack recipe that tastes so good!
These bites are a great source of protein!
This tasty dip pairs with veggies, pita chips, or your favorite dipper!
Another yummy cracker recipe you can make at home!
These bars taste just like the store-bought variety and cost much less!
Baked cheesy goodness that has a delicious crunch and savory flavor.
This sweet snack is great for meal prepping for a whole week!
A fun sandwich alternative in mini dipping form!
Just two ingredients and a delicious crunch!
One of my favorite treats to add to kids' school lunches or eat for an after school treat.
Waffles aren't just for breakfast! This savory waffle is a delicious snack.
Veggies are much easier to eat when they come in a fun shape!
A batch of these sweet potato chips will go fast!
Homemade Chex-Mix that is gluten-free and super tasty!
List of Prepackaged Store-Bought Snacks for School and After-School Activities
This list includes affiliate links to my Amazon storefront. All of the affiliate links open in a new tab.
While homemade snacks are fun to make and eat, sometimes convenience wins. Here are some of our favorite store-bought nutritious snacks or prepackaged popular kids' snacks we love.
Many of these quick snacks are available at the grocery store or Whole Foods and at bulk shopping stores like Amazon, Sam's Club, or Costco.
I like to save money on groceries by using Subscribe and Save to purchase my kids' favorite snacks on Amazon! You can find my favorite healthy back-to-school snacks to buy at the store on my Amazon store.
Free Printable List of Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids
Fresh Fruit & Vegetables
These fresh fruits for snacks are great to purchase at the grocery store or in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco.
- Apple slices
- Blueberries or strawberries
- Grapes (cut for younger kids)
- Baby carrots
- Mini bell peppers
- Celery sticks
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cucumber slices
Look for packaged fruit snacks that have no added sugar.
- Gogo Squeeze applesauce pouches
- Dole mandarin oranges or fruit cups (packed in water or fruit juice, not syrup)
- Dried fruit - raisins, mango, or apples are a few ideas.
- Freeze-dried fruit - Aldi has strawberry, fuji-apple, and mango.
- That's It Bars - 100% fruit bars
- Fruit leather
- Apple chips
Meat, Cheese, Dairy, and Protein
Choose from this list of healthy snack ideas to make a personal charcuterie board that works like mini meals!
- Applegate turkey lunchmeat
- Stoneyfield or Siggi's yogurt tubes
- Sargento mozzarella cheese sticks
- Babybel cheese
- Cottage cheese cup
- Hard-boiled eggs
Puffs, Crackers, and other Salty Snacks
- Veggie Straws
- Pea Crisps
- Pirate's Booty
- Skinny Pop
- Cheddar Bunnies
- Rice cakes
Healthy Snack Bars for Kids
Look for a healthy option that includes whole grains.
- Chewy Kind Bars
- Trail mix
Snacks for Classroom or Group Sports
Many times in preschool parents will provide a snack for the entire class during snack time. Group sports like soccer and baseball sometimes have a parent-provided snack for the entire team.
Easy snacks for the classroom or group sports will help to provide a healthy and balanced snack that most kids will eat.
Many of these prepackaged snack ideas can be purchased in bulk on Amazon, Sam's Club, or Costco making it easy to feed a group of kids.
I recommend picking 2 of these healthy snack ideas for kids, one sweet and one savory.
Best Snack Containers for Packing Healthy Snacks
Reusable snack containers are a great idea when packing kids' snacks. They are helpful to the environment and designed for snacking on the go.
My Amazon store shares all of my favorite snack containers!
Munchkin Snack Catchers are my favorite snack containers for babies and toddlers. They have a handle and a lid that makes getting a snack easy.
Take & Toss bowls are our favorite snack containers to this day! We used them when my kids were babies, and still use them now for holding snacks at home.
Snackbox Spinners are great for travel and packing larger snacks.
Pack-it Freezer Snack Bags are perfect for transporting cold snacks.
Reusable snack bags are an option for packing school lunches or throwing an after-school snack in a sports bag. Look for dishwasher-safe bags.
Expert Mom Tips for Packing Snacks for Kids
- When packing a group snack for a preschool, school, or kindergarten classroom, consult the teacher for any food allergies that may be present in the class.
- Avoid snacks with nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter and opt for school-friendly sunflower butter snacks when packing snacks for school or a group.
- Use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes in sandwiches or cookies.
- Cut snacks into small pieces for younger kids to eat.
- To lower grocery bills, shop in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco for prepackaged snacks that your kids eat.
- Opt for snacks that don't make a mess. For example, yogurt tubes are great for older kids, but younger children may struggle with the fine motor skills to open the package and eat it.
- Need ideas for class parties? Try these 27 Christmas Party Snacks for School.
More Kid-Friendly Recipes for Lunch and Breakfast
Need lunch ideas for feeding hungry kids? Try these quick and easy Bentgo lunch ideas!
We've got you covered on breakfast too! Check out these healthy breakfast ideas for kids for even more meal-planning help.
Picky eating makes packing snacks challenging! If texture is an issue, look for snacks with smooth textures and minimal pieces. Yogurt tubes and cheese sticks work great for this.
If you need more recipes for picky eaters, check out these top recipes for picky eaters and my library of kid-friendly recipes.
Air Fryer Pizza Bagels
- 3 mini bagels split in half
- ¾ cup pizza sauce
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- Slice bagels in half and spoon sauce onto each half.
- Top with cheese.
- Place into basket and air fry at 370F for 3-4 minutes.
- Storage: Store cooked bagels in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Leftovers can be eaten cold or heated up. See below for reheating instructions.
- Make Ahead: Can be made ahead and frozen for up to 3 months or stored in the refrigerator for a day prior to cooking. The sauce may soak in if made ahead and stored in the refrigerator so you may consider increasing the amount of sauce to use.
- Frozen: These can be baked straight from frozen. Assemble according to recipe instructions up to cooking. Place uncooked bagels on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes before storing in a freezer safe container.
- Reheating: Reheat leftovers by crisping for 2-3 minutes in the air fryer.