These Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are made with healthy ingredients, no refined sugar and are dairy free. Super moist and delicious with chocolate flavor, they will be a hit in your home!
These chocolate zucchini muffins are a definite crowd pleaser despite the hidden veggies that come with them!
Since my kids were small I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my kids to become less picky eaters. Hidden veggies became a solution for quite some time.
The goal is not to force your kids to eat veggies. I don’t want mine to think that veggies are bad and chocolate is good.
Veggies can be too! Sometimes we “fry” them, sometimes we eat them in things and sometimes we hide them in things. It all works out in the end.
What You Need to Make Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe:
- Almond flour
- Gluten free flour: recommend either Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1-1 baking flour or King Arthur flour gluten free all purpose flour. Both measure at one-for-one compared to all purpose flour and provide a great texture for gluten free muffins.
- Cacao powder
- Baking soda
- Coconut Sugar or Maple Syrup
- Coconut Oil
- Grated zucchini
- Dairy free chocolate chips
- Oat milk: only add if mixture seems to dry once all other ingredients have been added
How to Make Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Here is how you make this recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add dry ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients using a whisk and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and beat eggs until well beaten.
- Add remaining wet ingredients to egg bowl and gently mix.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold grated zucchini into mixture.
- Fold chocolate chips into mixture until just mixed. Add in oat milk if mixture seems dry.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out 12 muffins into silicone liners sprayed with coconut oil spray.
Tips for Making Zucchini Chocolate Muffins
To avoid texture issues with picky eaters, be sure to grate the zucchini on the smallest blade on the shredder you have. You can also peel the green skin from the zucchini before you shred it to mask even more green.
Consider grinding the almond flour in a food processor prior to mixing the dry ingredients. This will help the batter to be smoother.
To make these vegan chocolate zucchini muffins, swap out the egg for a flax egg or applesauce.
Store muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Muffins may also be frozen and stored in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months.
Get Healthy Baking Ingredients Delivered to You
I get many of my healthy baking ingredients delivered direct to me using Thrive Market. I love being able to get things delivered fast to my home!
You can get each of the ingredients you’ll need for this and more of my healthy treat recipes at Thrive Market. Get $20 in shopping credit when you sign up for Thrive Market!
Other Healthy Muffins & Bread Recipes on the blog!
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Bread
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
Momma Fit Lyndsey’s Favorite Zucchini Recipes
Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk may add more if dough seems dry
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/3 cup Enjoy Life Brand chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place 12 muffin liners into muffin pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Use a sifter if you have one.
- Mix egg, coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla extract into a bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion out 12 muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.