This mango pico de gallo is a fresh and delicious burst of flavor! Five simple ingredients are fresh mango, red onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. The perfect summer appetizer or addition to tacos, salads, or with tortilla chips!
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Light and refreshing!
- Mild, not spicy, and made with no jalapeños (kid-friendly!)
- Quick to make in under 10 minutes.
- Tastes better than store-bought.
- Pairs perfectly with 5-ingredient guacamole!
- Easy ingredients - only five simple ingredients.
- Perfect to top grilled chicken, mahi mahi fish tacos, salmon, quesadillas, or shrimp.
- Healthy and naturally gluten-free, vegan, and paleo.
Ingredients & Variations
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
I recommend using cherry tomatoes or Roma (plum) tomatoes for ease of preparation, and they are less watery. Use whatever tomatoes are accessible to you (I used heirlooms).
Fresh or frozen mango works in this recipe. If using frozen mango, thaw the mango before assembling.
Make other variations with pineapple or strawberries.
Cilantro is generally found in salsa, but you can omit it if you do not care for it.
Lime juice provides acidity and a tangy flavor. It also works as a natural preservative helping the salsa to last longer in the fridge.
Red onion provides texture, crunch, texture, and aroma to this recipe. Yellow or white onions may also be used.
Taste and Texture
Mango pico de gallo tastes like a bold, fresh, and tangy salsa with a hint of sweetness from the mango.
The texture is chunky, like traditional pico de gallo. It has a mix of soft and hard textures, making it a pleasing texture.
How to Make This Recipe
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
- Wash all ingredients and chop into small, diced-sized pieces.
- Add ingredients to a large dish or bowl and stir gently to incorporate. Serve immediately or once chilled.
Did you know? You can make this mango pico de gallo with habaneros or jalapeños peppers to make a spicy version!
- Chop ingredients finely, but do not over-chop them. You will want it to have chunks.
- Use cherry or Roma (plum) tomatoes for easy chopping and prep and less moisture.
- Soak onions in water before chopping if you find them too potent.
- Use fresh ingredients, if possible, for the most fresh flavors.
- Add in chopped avocado for a boost of healthy fats. Grilled corn or chopped cucumber also make excellent additions.
- If using frozen mango, be sure to allow it to defrost before making it.
How to Store, Serve and Make-Ahead
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make-Ahead: May be made ahead up to 3 days in advance. Spoon it into a separate bowl before serving to remove extra liquid.
Pico de gallo is a chunky salsa made with whole and raw pieces. Salsa is generally more liquid-based as it is made with mainly cooked ingredients.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
The phrase translates to "rooster's beak." It has an interesting origin, according to Tasting Table.
Other Healthy Appetizer Dip Recipes You'll Love!
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Easy 5-Ingredient Mango Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup mango diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juice of
- Wash all produce and chop into small, diced-sized pieces.1 cup mango, 1 cup tomatoes, ½ medium red onion, ¼ cup cilantro
- Add produce and lime juice to a large dish or bowl and stir gently to incorporate. Serve immediately or once chilled.1 lime