Moist, fluffy and healthy zucchini bread made with applesauce, fresh zucchini, and no refined sugar! Easy to make and kid approved!
Zucchini season is here and one of my favorite thing to make is healthy zucchini bread with applesauce! We have a ton of recipes here using zucchini so if you have an overactive garden, try out lasagna rolls, chocolate muffins, or air fryer zucchini fries!
What Makes This Recipe Work
- Uses fresh and seasonal ingredients (especially if you have an active garden or have hit up the farmer’s market).
- Easy to make ahead and store in your freezer for a quick snack or breakfast.
- Hidden veggie recipe helps to get veggies in picky eaters. A great way to get veggies and fiber into your family!
- No refined sugar! This recipe uses coconut sugar instead of white sugar.
- Made with coconut oil and no butter making this recipe dairy free.
- Healthy zucchini bread with applesauce to sweeten and I made them with chocolate chips too! You can omit the chocolate or even add raisins or your favorite nut like chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans.
- Easy to make into a loaf, mini loaves or even muffins!
- Made with applesauce instead of oil (we replaced half), this recipe is lower in fat and calories compared to the classic recipe. You can also use mashed bananas, pumpkin or Greek yogurt for an extra protein kick.
Ingredients to Make This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
- Flour: (I used King Arthur All Purpose Flour, you can also use King Arthur Gluten Free 1-1 baking flour if you are gluten free) If you’re looking for a recipe made with almond flour, make these chocolate zucchini muffins. You may also consider swapping some of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour.
- Coconut sugar: pure maple syrup or raw honey are also great sweeteners.
- Grated zucchini: I peel and shred on the smallest opening for better texture. You do not have to peel it though, I only do it for my picky eaters.
- Chocolate chips: I use dairy free Enjoy Life mini dark chocolate chips
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Start by combining the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a large bowl whisk eggs and add remaining wet ingredients.
Stir dry ingredients into wet and stir until just combined. Add in zucchini and any other add-ins. Mix until just incorporated and add in up to 3 tablespoon almond milk if batter is too thick.
Pour into prepared bread pan and bake!
- Refrigerator storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter. Alternatively, you can refrigerate it for up to one week. This may affect the level of moisture therefore I do not recommend slicing it prior to putting in the refrigerator.
- Freezer storage: Cooled loaves may be stored in a freezer safe container and frozen for up to three months.
- Mini Loaf Baking Instructions: Use a mini bread pan and divide batter evenly between four pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Pack the zucchini down into the measuring cup and do not remove moisture unless there is an inordinate amount.
- Make it vegan by swapping out eggs for a flax egg.
- Top with peanut butter or almond butter for an additional treat!
The zucchini helps to keep zucchini bread moist. Similar to bananas in banana bread, zucchini is what gives it the moist texture.
This is up to you and your preferences. If you want your kids to ask no questions, peeling might be a good choice. I also like to grate my zucchini on the smallest grater so that there are not large pieces.
When I am making healthy zucchini bread with applesauce I find that the right balance of moisture comes from leaving the zucchini water in the recipe!
I will even add in up to 3 tablespoon of unsweetened vanilla almond milk before baking to ensure it has the perfect moist texture.
If you try this recipe, would you leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? And if you want more simple + delicious eats you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Zucchini Bread with Applesauce
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- ½ cup chocolate chips or more if desired
- unsweetened vanilla almond milk add 1 tablespoon at a time, only if batter seems too dry.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray your bread pan with coconut oil spray.
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and coconut sugar together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until well incorporated. Once the mixture is incorporated, if it seems overly dry, add 1 tablespoon almond milk as needed until you are satisfied with the texture (should be thinner than a cookie batter but not thin)
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared bread pan. See recipe notes for tips for different pans. Do not fill the pan more than ⅔ full so that it doesn't overflow and bakes evenly.
- Bake for 50-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool loaves in the bread pans for about 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a cooling rack.