Gluten-free baking is super delicious with this easy gluten-free dairy-free banana bread recipe! This moist banana bread is super fluffy with perfect texture and is bursting with banana flavor!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Gluten-free and dairy-free - just like our dairy-free pumpkin bread!
- A healthy banana bread recipe even picky eaters will love!
- Traditional and classic banana bread flavor.
- Naturally sweetened with coconut sugar.
- No refined oils!
- Easy to make.
- Simple ingredients.
- No mixer is required.
- Kid-friendly and great for toddlers and for baby-led weaning.
- This gluten-free dairy-free banana bread can be made into muffins or mini banana loaves for breakfast.
- Great way to use up overripe bananas - just like our protein-baked oatmeal or oatmeal banana bars.
- For a recipe with almond flour, try these almond flour banana muffins.
Ingredients You Need to Make This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
A gluten-free flour blend like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free 1-1 baking flour or King Arthur flour gluten-free all-purpose flour blend works well. This flour generally includes xanthan gum and provides the structure of the bread.
Gluten-free oat flour may also be used.
Baking soda helps the structure of the gluten-free dairy-free banana bread keeping it fluffy and full.
Salt provides flavor and balances out the sweetness.
Coconut sugar is a delicious natural sugar used for baking. You can also use raw honey or maple syrup if you prefer banana bread with no sugar.
Brown sugar also works well to sweeten this recipe.
Coconut oil or vegan butter provides the fat component providing moisture and texture to the recipe.
Dairy-free Greek yogurt provides extra protein and a moist texture.
Soft, ripe bananas with some brown spotting work well for this recipe.
Eggs provide structure and binding to dairy-free banana bread. Flax eggs or applesauce can replace eggs in the vegan version of this recipe.
Vanilla extract provides a warm flavor enhancement.
Mix-in & Topping Ideas
Dairy-free mini dark chocolate chips are a delicious mix-in. Omit or swap for dried fruit like cranberries and blueberries or walnuts and pecans.
Add a drizzle of honey, peanut butter, or almond butter for a delicious topping.
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
In a large bowl, mix the coconut sugar and coconut oil.
Add in the eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
Add in the dairy-free yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Add in mashed bananas and mix until mostly smooth. A few lumps are OK.
Mix or sift together the gluten-free flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients in three parts, mixing slowly each time.
Add in the mini dairy-free chocolate chips and fold them into the batter gently.
Line a bread pan with parchment paper and spray it with coconut oil spray. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with additional mini chocolate chips if desired.
How to Store Banana Bread
For the best flavor and texture, store healthy chocolate chip banana bread at room temperature in an airtight container. It can be stored this way for up to 3 days.
The dairy-free banana bread should be cooled completely before storing.
How Long Does Homemade Banana Bread Last in the Fridge?
Refrigerating dairy-free banana bread can help it to last longer. However, it may lose moisture compared to storing it at room temperature.
Generally, banana bread will regain most of its moisture by reheating it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
How to Freeze Banana Bread
Freeze the entire loaf or cut it into individual slices and freeze by the slice. Wrap securely in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then place in a freezer-proof container for up to 4 months.
Other Expert Tips
Use a metal loaf pan rather than a ceramic loaf pan for more even baking.
Use softened coconut oil rather than melted coconut oil.
Coconut sugar tends to yield a darker, caramel-like outside color. If you prefer a lighter, more golden color, try using white sugar or honey to sweeten it.
Make it double chocolate by adding a bit of cocoa powder or cacao powder. Start with 2 tablespoon and add more if desired.
Gluten-free flour can become rubbery from overmixing. Mix the dry ingredients until just moistened.
Most traditional banana bread recipes have butter and/or milk. This recipe has no dairy and uses coconut oil and dairy-free yogurt.
Banana bread should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped securely in Saran Wrap or aluminum foil.
Aside from creating a fluffy texture and helping the banana bread to rise, baking soda also helps to balance the pH of the batter to create the dark outside crust.
Other Healthy Overripe Banana Recipes
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a bread pan with a piece of parchment paper fitted like a sling. Spray with coconut oil spray.
- To a medium bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.2 cups gluten free flour, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add coconut sugar and coconut oil in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add eggs one at a time and whisk well. Add in the bananas, yogurt, and vanilla. Whisk until blended.1 cup coconut sugar, ¼ cup coconut oil, 3 ripe bananas, ⅓ cup dairy free yogurt, 2 regular eggs, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredient mix in 3 parts, until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips or other add-ins if you are using. Spoon the batter into the prepared bread pan.¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then lift the parchment sling out to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and spray them with coconut oil spray.
- Follow recipe above for mixing instructions.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly portion out 12 muffins into the muffin tin.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan before eating.