Healthy chocolate chip banana bread is simple to make and oh so delicious! Made fluffy and super moist with yogurt, this healthy banana bread is gluten free, dairy free and baked with no refined sugars and no butter.
Can you believe that you can make a healthy chocolate chip banana bread that is gluten free, dairy free and tastes just like the classic warm flavors we all love! This lightened up recipe is a delicious breakfast or snack that you will make over and over!
If you have some extra ripe bananas in your pantry, give this recipe a try - or try protein baked oatmeal - another great recipe to make with ripe bananas!
Whether it's muffins, mini loaves or a loaf, this recipe is always a good idea. I've even adapted this recipe to make banana muffins with almond flour and made a spiced version for the holidays - gingerbread!
What Makes This Recipe Work
- Naturally sweetened and made with no sugar - I used no refined sugar coconut sugar (maple syrup and raw honey work well too!)
- No refined oils - I used coconut oil to make this recipe a healthy version. Any neutral cooking oil will work well.
- So easy to make and no mixer needed! Less cleanup by using only two bowls and a whisk. I've also made this in one bowl when I was feeling lazy!
- The entire family will love this recipe. Whether it's for hungry teens and kids or even a great baby led weaning recipe for toddlers, every family member will be satisfied.
- Makes an adorable gift with beautiful packaging or you can even layer the dry ingredients in a Mason Jar for gifts.
- Make into a loaf, muffins or even mini loaves. Check out the recipe card for baking times.
Ingredients You Need to Make This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- gluten free flour - I recommend either Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1-1 baking flour or King Arthur flour gluten free all purpose flour. Both measure at one-for-one compared to all purpose flour and provide a great texture for gluten free baking.
- coconut sugar - coconut sugar is a delicious natural sugar used for baking. You can also use raw honey or maple syrup if you prefer banana bread with no sugar.
- dairy free or greek yogurt - I used Forager dairy free yogurt for this recipe. If dairy is not an issue for you, I recommend using any vanilla greek yogurt.
- ripe bananas: Soft bananas with some brown spotting work well for this recipe. Great source. of fiber in this recipe!
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cook time and temperatures.
1. Combine the coconut oil + sugar. Mix these two together until well incorporated.
2. Eggs. Add in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.
3. Yogurt + Vanilla. Add in these two wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Bananas. Add in mashed bananas and mix until mostly smooth - a few lumps are OK.
5. Dry Ingredients. Mix or sift together the gluten free flour, baking soda and salt
6. 1-2-3 Dry Ingredients + Wet. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients in three parts, mixing slowly each time.
7. Chocolate time! Add in the mini chocolate chips (milk or dark chocolate work well) and fold them into the batter gently.
8. Time to Bake! Line a bread pan with parchment and spray it with coconut oil spray. Spoon the batter into the pan and top with additional mini chocolate chips if desired.
- For best flavor and texture, store healthy chocolate chip banana bread on the countertop in an airtight container for up to 4 days. May also be refrigerated, however it may dry out.
- Freeze entire loaf or cut into slices and freeze by the slice. Either way, wrap securely in foil and then place in a freezer-proof container for up to 4 months.
- I like to use a metal loaf pan rather than a ceramic loaf pan as I've found it more evenly bakes the bread and there is less chance for an undercooked center.
- You can omit chocolate chips and swap for dried fruit like cranberries or blueberries or add your favorite nuts (walnuts or pecans would be a great choice).
- Coconut sugar tends to yield a darker, caramel-like flavor that makes this bread absolutely delicious. If you prefer a more golden color, try using raw honey or maple syrup to naturally sweeten it.
- Add a drizzle of honey, peanut butter or almond butter for a delicious topping.
- Make it double chocolate by adding in a bit of cocoa powder or cacao powder. Start with 2 tablespoon and add more if desired.
I generally use coconut oil in place of butter for making this recipe. You may also try applesauce if you are looking for a low fat low calorie option, although this make make the bread less moist than using coconut oil.
One serving has 233 calories. Complete nutritional information is available in the recipe card.
Make it vegan: Replace eggs with a flax egg or applesauce. Use vegan yogurt.
Recipe is dairy free and gluten free as written.
Make it egg free: Replace eggs with flax egg or applesauce.
Lower fat and calories by using lower fat/calorie yogurt or sour cream and replacing oil for applesauce. Add in a few oats for a heart healthy ingredient.
Keep moist by wrapping securely in an airtight container and storing on your countertop for up to 4 days.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil softened
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup dairy free or vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a bread pan with a piece of parchment paper fitted like a sling. Spray with coconut oil spray.
- To a medium bowl add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
- Add coconut sugar and coconut oil in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add eggs one at a time and whisk well. Add in the bananas, yogurt and vanilla and whisk until blended.
- Add the dry ingredient mix in 3 parts, until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips or other add-ins if you are using. Spoon the batter into the prepared bread pan.
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then lift the parchment sling out to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and spray them with coconut oil spray.
- Follow recipe above for mixing instructions.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly portion out 12 muffins into the muffin tin.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan before eating.
Leave a Reply