This healthy gingerbread loaf is the perfect combination of classic banana bread and all of the seasonal gingerbread flavors! This breakfast bread tastes just like gingerbread cake! It is light, moist, and fluffy while also being gluten free and dairy free. Don't forget to add some add sugar free cream cheese frosting on top! Perfect for Christmas morning and the entire holiday season.
This recipe is so simple to make in one bowl and has all of the warm and seasonal flavors of ginger, molasses and cinnamon. Grab a cup of coffee or tea and get your cozy on - grab a cookie or two while you're at it!
What Makes This Recipe Work?
- This healthy gingerbread loaf is so easy to make and perfect for gifting during the holiday season.
- One bowl recipe that doesn't require a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Can be made gluten free, dairy free and with no refined sugars.
- Easy to make into muffins.
- Freezes well!
Ingredients You Need to Make This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- gluten free flour – I recommend either Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1-1 baking flour or King Arthur flour gluten free all purpose flour. Both measure at one-for-one compared to all purpose flour and provide a great texture for gluten free breads.
- coconut sugar – coconut sugar is a delicious natural sugar used for baking. You can also use raw honey or maple syrup if you prefer banana bread with no sugar.
- dairy free or greek yogurt – I used Forager dairy free yogurt for this recipe. If dairy is not an issue for you, I recommend using any vanilla greek yogurt.
- molasses - I used black strap molasses for this recipe.
- bananas - ripe bananas work well but you can also substitute for canned pumpkin or even applesauce if you are out of bananas.
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
1. Combine the coconut oil + sugar. Mix these two together until well incorporated.
2. Eggs. Add in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.
3. Yogurt + Vanilla. Add in these to wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Bananas. Add in mashed bananas and mix until mostly smooth – a few lumps are OK.
5. Gingerbread time! Add in the molasses and spice mix
6. Dry Ingredients. Mix or sift together the gluten free flour, baking soda and salt.
7. Dry into Wet. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients in three parts, mixing slowly each time.
8. Into the oven! Line a bread pan with parchment and spray it with coconut oil spray. Spoon the batter into the pan and place in the oven.
- Storage: If using cream cheese frosting, store cooled bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Otherwise, store healthy gingerbread loaf on the countertop in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: You can either freeze the entire loaf, or cut the bread into slices and freeze by the slice. Either way, you will want to wrap the bread securely in plastic wrap then foil and then place them in a freezer-proof container for up to 4 months.
- Vegan: Make without eggs and instead use a store bought egg replacer or flax egg along with vegan yogurt.
Mix together 2 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese, 1 tablespoon Lakanto Powdered Monkfruit sweetener and ½ teaspoon almond milk. Spread over cooled loaf.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Healthy Gingerbread Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a bread pan with a piece of parchment paper fitted like a sling. Spray with coconut oil spray.
- To a medium bowl add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
- Add coconut sugar and coconut oil in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add eggs one at a time and whisk well. Add in the bananas, yogurt and vanilla and whisk until blended.
- Stir in molasses and spices. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredient mix in 3 parts, until just blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared bread pan.
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then lift the parchment sling out to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- See notes for directions on making cream cheese frosting.
- 2 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon powdered Monk fruit sweetener
- ½ teaspoon almond milk