This coffee cake recipe without sour cream tastes just as moist, fluffy, tender, and delicious as the traditional recipe! Greek yogurt is the perfect substitute for sour cream in this easy breakfast quick bread!
Why You Should Make This Cinnamon Coffee Cake
These are the top 4 reasons you should make the best coffee cake recipe around:
- No fancy equipment is needed! You can make this coffee cake without sour cream using a wooden spoon instead of a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Delicious breakfast recipe to serve with a cup of coffee on Christmas or other holidays!
- Easy and quick to make in under an hour!
- Bursting with cinnamon flavor!
- Uses Greek yogurt instead of sour cream (just like this corn casserole!)
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
Gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour works best for this recipe. Do not substitute coconut flour, almond flour, or oat flour for this recipe.
A combination of baking powder and baking soda helps the bread to rise and gives it a perfectly moist and fluffy cake texture.
Eggs also help the bread to rise as well as provide moisture and create a tender crumb. I have not tested this recipe using an egg replacer or a flax egg.
Granulated white sugar gives the coffee cake sweetness. You can substitute honey or maple syrup, but the cake may not be as sweet.
Unsalted butter provides fat and moisture and gives the cake a delicious buttery flavor.
Greek yogurt replaces sour cream in this coffee cake recipe (just like this buffalo chicken dip!). It gives a slight tang that is present in traditional coffee cake recipes and makes the bread moist.
Milk also gives the coffee cake moisture. Substitute almond milk or oat milk if desired.
The vanilla extract gives a delicious warm flavor that tastes amazing in baked goods. Almond extract is a delicious substitute that amps up the cake flavor.
How to Make This Classic Coffee Cake Without Sour Cream
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, add additional flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and cubed cold butter. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the ingredients up into large, coarse crumbs.
Place in the freezer until ready to use.
In a large mixing bowl, add two eggs. Beat the eggs and then add in the granulated sugar.
Mix the eggs and white sugar until incorporated.
Add in the remaining wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
In another large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Spoon the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
Use a rubber spatula to spoon half of the batter into an even layer in the prepared pan. Spread half of the cinnamon streusel mixture over the top of the batter.
Add the remaining cake batter over the top of the cake along with the remaining streusel topping.
Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. The cake will be cooked when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the coffee cake to cool on a wire rack before cutting it into thick slices and serving.
- For a lower-sugar recipe, use Truvia Brown Sugar Baking Blend and Granulated Sugar Baking Blend.
- Use room-temperature butter for easier mixing.
Store coffee cake wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil or an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Do not cut into slices if storing. Instead, cut one slice at a time when serving.
You can refrigerate the coffee cake, however this recipe does dry out if refrigerated. Heat leftovers in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm up and moisten the cake.
For best results, do not refrigerate
Although very similar, crumb cake generally has a thicker layer of streusel, while coffee cake has less cinnamon crumble topping, and can sometimes be made without a topping.
Other Breakfast Bread Recipes to Try!
Coffee Cake Recipe Without Sour Cream
- 1 loaf pan
- rubber spatula
- mixing bowls
Cinnamon Crumble Topping Ingredients
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon butter cubed and chilled
- 1 and ⅓ cups gluten-free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ¾ of a cup of gluten-free flour, cinnamon, and butter. Use a pastry cutter to help to combine it easily. Place it in the freezer until you are ready to use it.⅔ cup brown sugar, ¾ cup gluten-free baking flour, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 6 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the sugar and mix until they are fully combined. Stir in the vanilla extract, butter, milk, and Greek yogurt.¾ cup granulated white sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoon milk, ½ cup unsalted butter
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Once combined, gently stir them into the wet ingredients.1 and ⅓ cups gluten-free baking flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pour the batter into the loaf ban and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. If the sides begin to burn, line the outsides of the loaf pan with foil. Cool the loaf on a wire rack before slicing into thick slices and serving.