Baked thin sliced chicken breasts are an easy and quick way to get juicy, tender, and flavorful baked chicken that works as a main dish or in salads, wraps, sandwiches, and more! Perfect for easy weeknight meals your family will love!
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Although I'm a huge fan of air frying chicken, one of my favorite quick ways and frankly one of the best ways to bake thinly sliced chicken breast is in the oven.
We're huge fans of chicken recipes, especially healthy crockpot chicken recipes. If you are too, be sure to try some of our other favorites like air fryer bbq chicken, gluten-free chicken parmesan, greek yogurt air fryer chicken, or breaded air fryer chicken.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Baking thin cut chicken breast is super quick to make in less than 20 minutes!
- Versatile and easy to customize with seasonings or marinades of your choice.
- Perfect and delicious juicy texture.
- Kid-friendly protein that satisfies even picky eaters.
- Simple ingredients.
- Convenient for meal prep.
- A healthy, lean protein recipe that is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb, and keto.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
Skinless and boneless thin sliced chicken breast (also known as cutlets) can be purchased in your grocery store's meat department or at the meat counter.
Thin sliced chicken breast is generally more uniform in thickness making it easier to cook evenly and more quickly.
Did you know? There are three ways to make thin sliced chicken breast using any chicken breast you have on hand at home!
3 Ways to Make Thin Chicken Breast Cutlets
- Butterly the meat. You can cut thin-cut chicken breast by butterflying the meat (slicing them in half from the thick part to the thin part of the meat).
- Pound the chicken with a mallet. would be to use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to a uniform size, about ¼ inch in height.
- Purchase already-sliced chicken. Brands like Perdue or Bell and Evans have already thin cut chicken breasts.
Basic seasonings such as salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder provide a delicious and savory taste that pairs well with many thin sliced chicken breast recipes.
How to Cook Thin Sliced Chicken Breast
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
Trim the chicken of excess fat and blot dry with a paper towel.
If not already pre-sliced, place your palm on the top of the meat to cut it in half in the center from the thickest to the thinnest part of the meat.
Season both sides with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
Place meat on a baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165F using an instant-read thermometer.
Is it Better To Bake Chicken at 350F or 400F?
I've cooked chicken at 350F, 375F, 400F, 425F, and 450F and all have gotten great results due to the use of an instant-read thermometer.
By using an instant-read meat thermometer, you can monitor the temperature of the meat and focus on using temperature, rather than the clock to tell you when the meat is done.
Generally, reserve higher temperatures like 425F or 450F for thicker pieces of meat as thinner cuts of chicken should be cooked at lower temperatures like 350F, 375F, or 400F to ensure juicy, tender, and moist meat.
Use a paper towel to dry raw meat before seasoning to help seasoning to stick.
Let the thin sliced meat rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. This will help to ensure juicy and delicious chicken and avoid dry chicken.
Use an instant-read meat thermometer to register the internal temperature of the cooked chicken at 165F. This will help to ensure the meat is not overcooked.
If your oven has the function, try using the convection option for roasted thinly sliced chicken breast at a higher temp like 400F for 10-15 minutes.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
How to Serve Thinly Sliced Chicken Breasts
Wondering what to do with thin sliced chicken breasts? This recipe works in so many meals and you can season it with a variety of chicken seasonings or marinades.
Ways to Serve Thin Sliced Chicken
- As a protein for a healthy salad recipe like spinach and quinoa salad, this Panera warm grain bowl, or a mason jar salad.
- Use as a base in one of our chicken salad recipes such as pesto chicken wraps or Greek yogurt chicken salad.
- Add to chicken taquitos.
- Use in a burrito bowl like our Chipotle copycat burrito bowl or add to a cheese quesadilla or Italian quesadillas for a simple meal.
- Stir into one of our delicious soup recipes like this chicken tortilla soup recipe, bone broth chicken noodle, or any of these healthy chicken soup recipes.
- Serve as a main dish alongside dairy-free mashed potatoes or an oven-baked potato and a vegetable side dish like steamed broccoli for a simple yet satisfying kid-friendly meal.
Bake thinly sliced chicken breast at 350F in the oven for 15-20 minutes. If baking thinly sliced chicken breast at 425F, reduce the cook time to 10-15 minutes and use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the internal temp of cooked chicken is 165F.
The best way to reheat chicken breast is by heating it the same way it was originally prepared.
However, the microwave is the quickest way to reheat thin chicken breast. Just add a bit of water or chicken broth to a bowl with the sliced meat and heat in 1-minute increments until the meat is warmed through to 165F.
Generally, you should thaw chicken breast prior to cooking, unless you are air frying or using an instant-pot recipe. Quick-thaw chicken using a USDA safe-defrosting method.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Baked Thin Sliced Chicken Breast
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
- 1 instant read thermometer
- 1.5 pound chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. If using standard chicken breast, butterfly or cut the chicken in half from the thickest section to the thinnest section. Alternatively, use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to ¼ inch thickness.1.5 pound chicken breast
- Evenly season each side of chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place seasoned chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reads 165F.