Thrown together in less than 5 minutes, this healthy crock pot enchilada soup is a hearty soup recipe that tastes so good on a busy weeknight. Full of flavor and topped with shredded cheese, avocado and tortilla chips, this slow cooked classic Mexican soup will be in regular family dinner rotation.
When fall rolls around and temperatures drop, a cozy and comforting bowl of soup is one of my favorite easy weeknight dinners. If you're a soup fan too, you'll need to also try bone broth chicken soup, corn chowder or veggie chili too!
Doesn't matter if you know it as chicken tortilla soup or enchilada soup, you don't need to go to Chili's to have it! This homemade version is even better.
Need even more inspo? Check out these 25 healthy chicken soup recipes!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy and quick to throw together fast. You basically dump all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and set the timer. Set it and forget it!
- One pot is all you need. Crock pot enchilada soup means easy cleanup and less dishes!
- Customizable for your family's needs and dietary preferences. Naturally dairy free (sans toppings) and you can make it paleo or Whole30 by making it without beans or substitute chickpeas for chicken to make it vegan or vegetarian.
- Budget-friendly using ingredients you probably already have on hand in the pantry.
- Freezer meals: Great for make ahead dinners to freeze and eat later.
Ingredients for This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- Chicken breast: You can also substitute boneless chicken thighs, hamburger, ground turkey or pork sausage. Alternatively, stir in some rotisserie chicken in the last hour of cooking.
- Enchilada sauce: Mild enchilada sauce gives you red enchilada soup but you can also swap green sauce if you prefer.
- Corn: Corn is optional but definitely recommended. You can use frozen corn or canned corn, both work.
- Beans: You can use any type of beans but black beans, white beans and Pinto beans work the best.
- Tomatoes: Canned diced tomatoes, salsa or Rotel for a spicy version.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, cumin and coriander are the spices I used. You can also add in adobo sauce, chipotle or taco seasoning.
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact cook time and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Combine raw chicken and all other ingredients into a slow cooker pot and mix gently. Cook on low for 6-7 hours then remove chicken to shred it before returning it to the pot and allow it to cook for another hour.
Top with toppings such as avocado or guacamole, tortilla strips or chips, Fritos, cheese, scallions, red bell pepper, sour cream or whatever taco toppings you prefer. Alternatively, stir in some rice or quinoa for an even heartier version.
- If you want a more mild soup reduce the spices or use a mild enchilada sauce. To make it spicy, add in some cayenne.
- Leave out the meat and add in chickpeas and sweet potato along with vegetable broth to make a meatless vegan and vegetarian version.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To freeze, allow soup to cool in the fridge and then store in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months.
- I tested this recipe in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through. You can also microwave it.
Allow soup to cool in the refrigerator then transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
My favorite toppings for this crock pot chicken enchilada soup are tortilla chips, cheese and avocado or guacamole. You can also add Fritos, jalapeños, onions, scallions, cilantro or sour cream.
If you want to thicken the soup add in some cream cheese, queso, sour cream or Greek yogurt before serving. This cheesy and creamy version is beyond cozy.
To make on the stove allow mixture to simmer on the stovetop in a large cast iron pot for about an hour or until chicken is cooked through and pulls apart easily.
To make it in the Instant Pot, pressure cooker or Ninja Foodi add all of the ingredients into the instant pot and cook on manual pressure for 10 minutes then allow a 10 minute natural release. Shred chicken and stir then serve.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below in the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Crock Pot Enchilada Soup
- Combine all ingredients into slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low. After 7 hours, pull out chicken and shred. Return chicken to pot and cook for one more hour.
- Serve with diced avocado, greek yogurt, shredded cheese & tortilla chips