Crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots is a delicious and flavorful meal your entire family will love! This fall apart, tender beef roast has simple, wholesome ingredients that are easy to make. An old fashioned favorite that is perfect for any night of the week!
Making a cozy meal like crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots is one of my favorite one pot meal ideas! Once fall hits and it gets colder, there is nothing better than coming home to this easy weeknight meal!
Serve this alongside some instant pot cornbread and a salad and you have a simple and delicious dinner! And if you're looking for another cozy fall or winter meal, try this slow cooker chicken spaghetti!
Why This Recipe Works
- Simple one-pot meal that is healthy and quick to throw together in the morning then set it and forget it! Slow cooked and done by dinner time!
- Cozy & healthy comfort food that is a delicious fall stew once temperatures drop.
- Crock pot roast with potatoes & carrots is perfect for Sunday dinner or weeknights.
- Healthy & hearty recipe that is naturally gluten free, Whole30 and paleo.
Ingredients to Make This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- Potatoes: Baby, new, yellow or fingerling potatoes. Whole potatoes work best, but slicing them in half also works.
- Shallots: Onions also work.
- Chuck roast: This is the beef shoulder cut that works best for the recipe.
- Beef bone broth: Beef bouillon also works.
- Red wine vinegar: You can also use red wine, add it to the beef bone broth. Balsamic is also an option.
- Carrots: Parsnips or turnips are a great choice as well.
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact cook time and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
The directions are so easy! Whisk together the beef bone broth, dijon mustard and red wine vinegar and pour over the meat and veggies.
Rub horseradish into the beef roast and top with fresh herbs. Cook on low for 8 hours and thicken gravy by adding arrowroot or cornstarch to water to it and heating it on the stovetop.
- Instant Pot Directions: Follow the same directions for assembling and pressure cook on high for 60-80 minutes depending on the size of your roast. You may want to sear your meat prior to cooking with this method.
- Oven Directions: How long to cook a roast at 350F will depend on the size of your roast. For a 3-lb cut you will cook it in the oven anywhere from 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- Storage: store cooked beef and vegetables in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer Directions: Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- You do not have to sear the meat, however if you want to take the extra step, it definitely is worth it!
- It's better to cook on low to ensure beef gets super tender. I do not recommend to cook it on high.
- Use full-sized, chopped carrots instead of baby carrots as they tend to get mushy.
- Use leftover meat and gravy to make delicious sandwiches the next day.
- Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme as well as onions/shallots and garlic work best rather than Lipton onion soup mix or dried herbs.
Chuck roast (also known as chuck shoulder) is my favorite cut to use. It provides the most tender and moist beef.
For this recipe you do not have to brown your meat before putting it in the crockpot. If you are making it in the Instant Pot or oven, browning it is a good idea to seal in all of the flavors during the shorter cooking time.
The key to tender meat in the slow cooker is letting it cook! You want the meat to fall apart easily.
The slow cooker method is the easiest way to make sure you get that delicious fall apart meat .
I put the vegetables on the bottom and have not had issues with them getting mushy. You can put the vegetables on top if you prefer firmer vegetables.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below in the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Crock Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
- 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 cups potatoes baby or fingerling potatoes sliced in half
- 3 large carrots roughly cut into large chunks
- 5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 small shallot sliced
- fresh rosemary + thyme
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- Place potatoes, carrots, shallots and garlic into slow cooker. Add fresh herbs.
- Season beef roast with salt and pepper and place on top of veggies.
- Mix beef bone broth, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard and pour over beef and veggies. Rub horseradish into roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until beef is tender and falls apart.
- To thicken gravy, heat 1 cup of cooking liquid on stove until bubbling. Add 1 teaspoon arrowroot mixed with 1 teaspoon water to gravy and pour over beef roast.