Slow Cooker Swedish meatballs made at home in the crock pot are better than Ikea! Whole30 and keto-friendly, these Swedish meatballs will be a family favorite!
If you’ve ever been to Ikea you know that aside from the awesome furniture and fun decor, they have Swedish meatballs. It might sound random, but they are apparently quite delicious and truly authentic tasting!
In my opinion, this recipe is even better than Ikea Swedish meatballs! Made with simple ingredients, these crockpot Swedish meatballs are Whole30 compliant and keto friendly.
Swedish Meatballs and Noodles – Egg or Zoodles, your pick!
Swedish meatballs are one of those comfort foods that you can help but love! Creamy sauce, delicious meatballs and delicious noodles… all I can say is yum!
If you are looking for a traditional Swedish meatball crockpot recipe, you will definitely want to serve your meatballs over egg noodles. Cook the meatballs as noted in the recipe and serve over cooked egg noodles once you are ready to eat.
However, if you have a dietary restriction, there are a few modifications you can make to make this easy meatball recipe work for you!
Keto Swedish meatballs – swap all purpose flour for ¼ to ⅓ of the amount coconut flour and serve over zoodles rather than egg noodles
Dairy free – this recipe is dairy free as written so enjoy!
Whole30 Swedish meatballs – similar to Keto, swap all purpose flour for ¼ to ⅓ of the amount coconut flour and serve over zoodles.
How to Make Crockpot Swedish Meatballs
To make homemade Swedish meatballs, you will need a basic meatball recipe and the following ingredients for sauce:
- My basic meatball recipe
- Beef bone broth
- Full fat coconut milk
- All purpose flour
- Coconut Aminos
- Salt + pepper
- dried rosemary
Quality of beef is extremely important in making crockpot Swedish meatballs. My favorite beef to use comes from ButcherBox.
ButcherBox beef is:
- 100% grass-fed & grass-finished.
- Pasture-raised and free to roam.
- Source of Omega-3’s, vitamins and minerals.
Once you make the meatballs and add them to your slow cooker, mix together the remainder of the sauce ingredients and pour it over the meatballs. Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through.
What is different about Swedish meatballs?
Rather than traditional Italian meatballs that are cooked in a red tomato sauce, Swedish meatballs are cooked in a gravy-like sauce.
What do you eat with Swedish meatballs?
Swedish meatballs and noodles are a traditional family favorite. You could also use rice, orzo or swap for zoodles if you are looking for a low carb version.
How do you make Ikea meatball sauce from scratch?
Homemade Swedish meatball sauce is super easy to make. You need beef bone broth, coconut milk, all purpose flour, coconut aminos, rosemary and salt and pepper. Check out the recipe for full instructions.
How long can I keep meatballs in the crockpot?
Meatballs are usually cooked between 4-6 hours on low on the crock pot. If you need to keep them in longer, they will likely hold up to as much as 8 hours.
A Few More Healthy Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Love!
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
- Honey Garlic Crockpot Chicken Thighs
- Italian Crockpot Meatballs
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Crockpot Tuscan Chicken
- Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken
- Whole30 Pot Roast
Follow Me On Social Media!
Like This Recipe For Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs? Give It A Try And Share It On Instagram! Tag Me @Mommafitlyndsey!
Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour swap for ¾ tablespoon coconut flour if Keto or Whole30
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt + pepper to taste
- Spray the bottom and sides of the crock pot with coconut oil spray.
- Combine ground beef, almond flour, se salt and garlic in a large bowl. Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop out about 16 medium sized meatballs.
- Place meatballs into the crock pot and make sauce.
- Combine sauce ingredients into a glass measuring cup and whisk until well incorporated. Pour over the meatballs. Cover crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Once meatballs are cooked, prepare egg noodles or zoodles for serving.