3-ingredient Crock Pot ground beef is our favorite way to make taco meat! This Crock Pot taco meat recipe is so easy, you need only one pot and three ingredients. If you're in need of ground beef crockpot recipes to make for dinner, look no further!
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
- Why You Should Make This 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Ground Beef
- Ingredients and Substitutions
- How to Make This Crock Pot Taco Meat Recipe
- Expert Tips for Cooking Success
- How to Serve and Store Crock Pot Taco Meat
- Recipe FAQs
- Other Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Meals!
- 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat with Ground Beef
Why You Should Make This 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Ground Beef
Here are the top five reasons you will love this Crock Pot taco meat recipe:
- It is the best taco meat recipe made in the slow cooker.
- An easy recipe made in one pot with basic and simple ingredients.
- A great way to make a hearty meal for dinner time - perfect for busy weeknights!
- The perfect healthy comfort food - use it in our air fryer taco pizza!
- No need to brown ground beef in a skillet - just a few minutes of prep!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
Salsa provides flavor and the moisture needed to cook the meat. Use your favorite salsa from the grocery store or your own homemade version.
Taco seasoning seasons the meat. Look for taco seasoning packets that contain salt, or create your own homemade taco seasoning blend.
Lean ground beef is the base protein of this recipe. I use 90/10 ground beef so that I do not have to drain the excess fat.
Select a ground beef with enough fat content to keep the meat moist without adding in excess fat and grease.
How to Make This Crock Pot Taco Meat Recipe
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
Spray the crock with cooking spray. Place one pound of ground beef into the crock pot.
Season the meat with 1 packet of taco seasoning. Add in one jar of salsa.
Use a meat chopper to break up the meat gently. You can also break up the meat mixture after it is cooked.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Break up the meat using a meat chopper and stir the sauce so that all pieces are coated.
Expert Tips for Cooking Success
Cooking time will vary between slow cooker models. Check after three hours to see if the meat is done.
Breaking up the meat a little before slow cooking will help cook the meat evenly. If you forget to break up the meat, it will still cook. Breaking it up prior to cooking is optimal for flavor and texture.
If cooking it in one piece, break up the meat after cooking it and stir it into the sauce. Allow it to sit on warm for 30 minutes to incorporate all of the flavors.
For a creamy version, add a block of cream cheese to the pot and stir it in once it's melted.
For a spicy version, add in some chopped jalapenos, a can of Rotel, or green chiles.
How to Serve and Store Crock Pot Taco Meat
Serve crock pot taco meat in warmed taco shells, burrito bowls, or in a taco salad.
Stir in cooked rice and beans for a heartier taco.
Top with traditional taco toppings such as sour cream, cheddar cheese, green peppers, green onions, black beans, green chiles, or hot sauce.
Store leftover taco meat in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
You can cook ground beef in the crock pot using this easy recipe. Place raw meat into the crock along with the other ingredients and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until cooked through.
Allow the ground beef to thaw in the refrigerator. Do not put frozen meat in the crock pot.
Taco meat will dry out in a crock pot if there is not enough liquid to keep it moist. Make sure you use enough salsa to coat and moisten the meat.
Keep taco meat warm in a slow cooker for a party using this easy recipe. Cook the taco meat 3 hours prior to the party, and then turn the crock pot on low to keep the meat warm for up to 2 hours.
Monitor the level of liquid in the meat to make sure it doesn't dry out.
You can also keep it warm by browning it on the stove in a skillet over medium heat until cooked. Then, transfer it to a crockpot and keep it on warm for up to 2 hours. Monitor the moisture level of the meat, and add additional sauce as needed.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Meals!
3-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat with Ground Beef
- 1 Slow Cooker or Crock Pot
- coconut oil spray
- 1 pound raw ground beef 90/10
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 16 oz. jar salsa
- Spray the crock with cooking spray or coconut oil spray. Place all of the ingredients into the crock pot.1 pound raw ground beef, 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 16 oz. jar salsa
- Use a meat chopper to gently break up the meat and incorporate the taco seasoning and salsa.
- Slow cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is cooked through. Stir the salsa sauce to evenly coat the meat and serve.