Zucchini Lasagna Rolls are an easy summer dinner to make using fresh zucchini! Zucchini, cheese & sausage is a low carb and healthy lasagna alternative!
It's zucchini season! I love eating zucchini all year round but there is nothing like a giant delicious in-season zucchini!
Whether I'm making healthy double chocolate zucchini muffins, air fryer zucchini fries or this new zucchini lasagna rolls recipe, zucchini is almost a daily staple in our house!
This is a great family friendly low carb dish and a fabulous easy summer dinner when you want to load up on veggies!
If you love lasagna be sure to try this no boil lasagna too!
How to Make Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
Making zucchini rollatini might sound intimidating! The zucchini rolls are actually easier than you may think. Here is a list of some questions that may help you to make easy zucchini lasagna with zucchini rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Roll ups
How do I make a zucchini roll for lasagna?
Making a zucchini roll is definitely not as hard as it looks! Zucchini are pretty pliable and can be easily rolled for zucchini rollatini.
The trick is getting even lengthwise slices for the lasagna rollups. Once you have your slices you add the filling and roll up the zucchini.
How do you slice zucchini lengthwise for lasagna?
You can use either a mandoline or a good sharp knife to slice zucchini lengthwise for lasagna. I highly recommend the mandoline as it helps to get even slices.
If you're using a mandoline, I also recommend safety gloves especially if your mandoline does not have a built-in safety cover.
How do you keep zucchini lasagna from getting watery?
If you've ever tried to cook with zucchini you know that it can get very watery. The trick to keeping your zucchini lasagna from getting watery is to salt and pre-cook the zucchini strips.
Preheat the oven to 425F while slicing the zucchini. Place zucchini on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
Once the oven is heated, cook the zucchini for about 10 minutes. Once the zucchini is cool enough to handle you can pat it with a paper towel to absorb remaining moisture and begin filling.
What kind of cheese should I use for zucchini roll ups lasagna?
Although many lasagna recipes call for ricotta cheese, this easy zucchini lasagna is made without ricotta cheese.
I like to use what I have on hand when making easy weeknight dinners! Although you may have ricotta on hand, I had mozzarella and parmesan.
I made this low carb lasagna more meat friendly by using sausage instead of ricotta for the filling.
Try These Other Healthy Weeknight Dinner Recipes
- Garlic Ranch Chicken Wings (Keto + Whole30 Compliant)
- Walking Taco Casserole
- Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Breast
Follow Me On Social Media!
Zucchini Rollups Recipe
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- 9 oz pork sausage cooked
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup low sugar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425F. Slice zucchini evenly lengthwise to approximately ⅛ of an inch.
- Place cut zucchini on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake zucchini for 10 minutes. Once cooled, blot with a paper towel to absorb additional moisture.
- While zucchini is cooking, mix cooked sausage, ¾ cup mozzarella, ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup sauce and 1 teaspoon garlic powder together. Set aside.
- In an 8X8 glass baking dish add ½ cup of sauce to the bottom of the dish and spread evenly.
- Once zucchini is cooled enough to handle use a small spoon to fill zucchini. Roll zucchini up and place in baking dish. Add in any extra meat around the rolls.
- Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and zucchini rolls are heated through. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
There isn’t any sauce in the ingredients list. How much of it should there be?
1 cup low sugar marinara sauce like Newman's Own or Otamot. I've updated the recipe.