Walking Taco Casserole is a family friendly Mexican casserole that will be a weeknight dinner hit! Lightened up with healthier ingredients, this taco bake will give you all the flavor for less fat and calories!
A few years ago my older daughter had something at a friend’s house called “walking tacos”. Truth be told, I hadn’t heard of them before!
Basically walking tacos are easy, portable tacos. Using corn chips (or Doritos) you top the chips with meat, cheese and other toppings.
Delicious? Yes! Kid-friendly? Yes! Healthy? Not quite.
I wanted to find a recipe that would mimic the walking taco recipe that my daughter loved so much! Having two picky eaters makes me work overtime to find something they will not just eat, but like!
I made a few swaps to the original walking taco recipe and created a lightened up walking taco casserole our entire family would enjoy!
What You Need to Make Walking Taco Casserole
Walking taco casserole is super simple to make. You only need a few simple ingredients!
- Ground turkey: You can use ground turkey or lean ground beef. I like to use ground turkey or chicken for a healthier option.
- Enchilada Sauce: My favorite enchilada sauce is the bottled version from Trader Joe’s. You could also use taco seasoning or your own favorite taco seasoning mix.
- Light Cream Cheese: You can also use Neufchatel cheese – as long as it’s lighter and a cream style cheese.
- Organic corn chips: I was able to find these at Trader Joe’s. You could also use organic tortilla chips if you can’t find organic corn chips. I like the corn chips for the best crunch.
- Shredded cheese: Shredded Mexican cheese blend is the perfect cheese for this delicious walking taco.
- Toppings: I like to add healthier toppings like Greek yogurt, fresh salsa and avocado.
Other Momma Fit Lyndsey Healthy Mexican Recipes
- Instant Pot Carne Asada
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chili Lime Air Fryer Shrimp
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
How to Make Healthy Walking Tacos in a Casserole
Walking taco casserole is a healthy recipe that takes the original taco in a bag recipe and lightens it up! This taco bake is a perfect healthy casserole your family will love for dinner.
To layer your walking taco casserole, start with crushed up organic corn chips or tortilla chips. I prefer corn chips for the crunch.
Next layer in the cooked turkey meat that has been mixed with enchilada sauce and light cream cheese.
Layer with shredded Mexican cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake the walking taco casserole for 15-20 minutes at 350F. Serve with your favorite toppings like salsa, Greek yogurt, shredded Mexican cheese and avocado.
This walking taco is also great to make ahead for an easy weeknight dinner. You can prepare the layers in advance and then bake it the next day. Add on 5-10 minutes to bake time if you are making ahead.
Top this recipe with my delicious 4 ingredient guacamole!
Follow Me On Social Media!
Did You Like This Walking Taco Casserole Recipe? Share It On Instagram And Tag Me @Mommafitlyndsey
Walking Taco Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey cooked
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 4 cups organic corn chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 oz light cream cheese softened
- Add cooked ground turkey, enchilada sauce and softened light cream cheese to a bowl to combine.
- Layer 2 cups of crushed organic corn chips on the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer with turkey, then 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.