Strawberry yogurt muffins are moist, fluffy and packed with protein (and chocolate!) for a delicious breakfast muffin your family will love.
Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
I have two muffin monsters in my house. My littlest wakes up every morning wanting a muffin.
That is part of the reason why I have so many muffin recipes on my blog! I’m always looking for new ways to pack healthy ingredients into their first meal of the day.
This recipe was born out of my personal love of strawberry muffins. Eat ‘n Park is a local restaurant chain here in Pittsburgh that has the best strawberry muffins.
I was looking for a healthy spin on this classic muffin and my oldest declared – don’t forget the chocolate!
It’s true, any good muffin recipe needs chocolate right? So we married the classic strawberry muffin with chocolate chips and voila!
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here is a delicious, fluffy and moist strawberry yogurt muffin you can bake for your valentines!
What You Need to Make This Protein Muffin Recipe
Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- gluten free flour: – I recommend either Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1-1 baking flour or King Arthur flour gluten free all purpose flour. Both measure at one-for-one compared to all purpose flour and provide a great texture for gluten free muffins.
- baking soda
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar: coconut sugar will result in a darker red color. If you want your muffins to be a brighter color, try using organic cane sugar.
- frozen or fresh strawberries: I pureed frozen strawberries in my Vitamix to remove chunks of strawberries. You can alternatively chop fresh strawberries and either puree them or leave them in chunks.
- beet powder: beet powder is an optional ingredient but gives the muffins a nice color and added nutrition
- vanilla Greek yogurt
- chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
How to Make Strawberry Chocolate Muffins
Here are the steps to make these strawberry protein muffins:
1. Combine the coconut oil + sugar. Mix these two together until well incorporated. Use either a stand mixer or hand mixer.
2. Eggs. Mix in the eggs until fully incorporated.
3. Yogurt, Strawberry Puree, Beet Powder + Vanilla. Add in these to wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Dry into Wet. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients in three parts, mixing slowly.
5. Add Chocolate Chips. Mix or sift together the gluten free flour, baking soda and salt.
6. Into the oven! Line a muffin tin with silicone muffin liners and spray them with coconut oil spray. Scoop the batter into the liners with a cookie scoop and place in the oven.
Tips for Making Delicious Homemade Muffins
Frozen fruit makes these muffins great for any season! I used frozen strawberries since I was making these strawberry muffins for Valentine’s Day.
Puree the strawberries and beet powder if there are any texture issues. Once you puree the two together the muffin will be smooth with no fruit chunks.
For a dairy free strawberry muffin, substitute Greek yogurt for dairy-free yogurt. For an extra protein punch, add in a scoop of plant based protein powder.
Store muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Alternatively, freeze the muffins and eat them once thawed.
Muffins are easy to heat up in the microwave in the morning.
Other Muffin Recipes Your Family Will Love
If your family loves muffins, give these other healthy muffin recipes a try!
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
Strawberry Yogurt Muffin Recipe
Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 10 oz bag frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon beet powder
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Heat frozen strawberries over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Once strawberries are mashable, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add coconut sugar and coconut oil to a stand mixer bowl or large bowl. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Add in strawberries, yogurt and vanilla extract to wet ingredients and mix well.
- To a medium bowl add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredient mix in 3 parts, until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips . Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Line a muffin tin with silicone muffin liners and spray them with coconut oil spray. Scoop the batter into the liners with a cookie scoop and place in the oven.
- Bake muffins at 425F for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.