Have you ever wondered how to make the perfect muffin? This article is going to lay out the basic steps for making fluffy muffins including how long to bake muffins and how to make muffins moist. I'm also sharing my Top 17 Healthy Muffins for Kids and Adults!
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Making the perfect muffin at home is completely doable. Muffins are one of our favorite healthy breakfasts that my kids love to eat.
I usually make a big batch of muffins to freeze and then reheat them in the microwave each morning. Many of my healthy muffin recipes have bananas as their base so if you have ripe bananas, don't throw them away!
Ingredients You Need to Make Muffins
Here are the basic ingredients you need for muffins:
- Flour: My two favorite flours to bake with are King Arthur All Purpose Flour or Bob's Red Mill One-to-One Gluten Free Baking Flour.
- Coconut oil or butter
- Sugar or coconut sugar
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla extract
- Greek yogurt or dairy free yogurt: yogurt keeps the muffins moist and gives an added boost of protein.
- Fruit: i.e. mashed banana, strawberry puree, pumpkin puree.
- Mix-ins: i.e. mini chocolate chips, zucchini, nuts, blueberries or other fruit.
How to Make the Best Moist and Fluffy Muffin
Here is how to make them:
- Start with creaming your oil or butter with your sugar with a mixer using medium speed.
- Add in your eggs, one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
- Measure and add in your yogurt and vanilla.
- Add in your fruit puree of choice; mashed banana, applesauce and pumpkin are great choices.
- Measure out your dry ingredients and whisk together. I like weighing my ingredients with a kitchen scale to ensure proper measurement.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in mix-ins such as chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts or your mix-in of choice.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out evenly sized muffins into silicone baking cups sprayed with coconut oil spray and placed in a muffin tin.
Once your muffins are prepped to bake, you may bake! It is helpful to preheat the oven prior to starting the ingredient preparation.
I recommend baking your muffins for 5 minutes at 425F. This helps your muffins to rise quicker and allows them to get super fluffy.
After 5 minutes, reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
17 Healthy Muffin Recipes for Kids and Adults
Here are 17 of my favorite healthy muffin recipes:
- Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Sweet Potato Egg Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Bread Blender Muffins
- Granola Butter Sweet Potato Muffins
- Pumpkin Mini Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins
- Salted Caramel Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffin Copycat Recipe
- Mixed Berry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
Basic Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil softened
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425F. Add coconut sugar and coconut oil to a stand mixer bowl or large bowl. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Add in yogurt and vanilla extract to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add in mashed banana or other fruit puree and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix or sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients in three parts, mixing slowly each time.
- Fold in mix-ins of choice.
- Line a muffin tin with silicone muffin liners and spray them with coconut oil spray. Scoop the batter into the liners with a cookie scoop and place in the oven.
- Bake muffins at 425F for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.