Apple nachos are a delicious gluten free, dairy free and healthy snack for kids! Healthy apple nachos made apples and simple toppings like peanut butter and chocolate chips will be a hit with your family!
One of my top Pinterest searches as a parent? Healthy snacks for kids!
I’m always trying to come up with new ways to get my kiddos to choose snacks that are made with whole foods and have less processed ingredients!
Why This Recipe Works
- They are a healthy easy snack that your kids and family will love! The perfect afternoon snack, movie night treat or even for breakfast!
- Healthy apple nachos are one of the best simple snacks with only three ingredients making them super cheap to make!
- You can use peanut butter or almond butter instead of caramel to create a healthy kids snack that is full of protein.
🍎 Ingredients You Need for This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
- Apples: I recommend a sweeter, sturdier apple like Gala, Honeycrisp or Fuji apples.
- Peanut, almond or nut butter of choice: Georgia Grinders nut butters are my favorite nut butter to add to these healthy breakfast parfaits! Use code LYNDSEY20 to shop Georgia Grinders and get a discount!
- Dairy free chocolate chips: For this recipe I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips.
🔪 How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Wash and slice apples. Arrange one layer of apples on a plate.
Drizzle half of the melted nut butter over apples. Evenly sprinkle dairy free chocolate chips over apples.
Repeat process with remaining apples, nut butter and chocolate chips. Serve immediately.
- Coat apples in a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Sub peanut butter for honey or caramel for a sweeter, more dessert-like treat. Top with marshmallows for a fun topping!
- Use PB2 or peanut butter powder to create healthy apple nachos with less calories and are weight watchers friendly.
- Top with heart healthy oats or granola for a delicious crunch.
I recommend a sweeter apple like Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp. It also helps to have a slightly firmer apple that will hold the toppings.
Rather than using caramel, these apple nachos are topped with peanut butter or nut butter of your choice. They also use dairy free mini chocolate chips.
Generally my family eats the entire plate in one sitting. However, if we have some left, they actually keep pretty well for a day in the fridge in an airtight container. To deter the apples from browning try mixing them with a bit of lemon juice prior to assembling if you know you won’t be using them all.
If you try this recipe, would you leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? And if you want more simple + delicious eats you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Apple Nachos – Healthy Snack for Kids
- 5 apples Gala, Honeycrisp or Fuji recommended
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter almond butter or nut butter of your choice
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips
- Wash and slice apples. Arrange one layer of apples on a plate.
- Drizzle half of the melted nut butter over apples. Evenly sprinkle dairy free chocolate chips over apples.
- Repeat process with remaining apples, nut butter and chocolate chips. Serve immediately.