Apple nachos are a delicious gluten free, dairy free and healthy snack for kids! Healthy apple nachos made apples and simple toppings like peanut butter and chocolate chips will be a hit with your family!
One of my top Pinterest searches as a parent? Healthy snacks for kids!
I'm always trying to come up with new ways to get my kiddos to choose snacks that are made with whole foods and have less processed ingredients!
Some of the winners I've come up with like almond flour banana muffins, fruit salad and air fryer chicken nuggets are tried and true favorites, just like these healthy apple nachos!
Why This Recipe Works
- They are a healthy easy snack that your kids and family will love! The perfect afternoon snack, movie night treat or even for breakfast!
- Healthy apple nachos are one of the best simple snacks with only three ingredients making them super cheap to make!
- You can use peanut butter or almond butter instead of caramel to create a healthy kids snack that is full of protein.
🍎 Ingredients You Need for This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- Apples: I recommend a sweeter, sturdier apple like Gala, Honeycrisp or Fuji apples.
- Peanut, almond or nut butter of choice: Georgia Grinders nut butters are my favorite nut butter to add to these healthy breakfast parfaits! Use code LYNDSEY20 to shop Georgia Grinders and get a discount!
- Dairy free chocolate chips: For this recipe I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips.
🔪 How to Make This Recipe
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cook time and temperatures.
Wash and slice apples. Arrange one layer of apples on a plate.
Drizzle half of the melted nut butter over apples. Evenly sprinkle dairy free chocolate chips over apples.
Repeat process with remaining apples, nut butter and chocolate chips. Serve immediately.
- Coat apples in a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Sub peanut butter for honey or caramel for a sweeter, more dessert-like treat. Top with marshmallows for a fun topping!
- Use PB2 or peanut butter powder to create healthy apple nachos with less calories and are weight watchers friendly.
- Top with heart healthy oats or granola for a delicious crunch.
I recommend a sweeter apple like Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp. It also helps to have a slightly firmer apple that will hold the toppings.
Rather than using caramel, these apple nachos are topped with peanut butter or nut butter of your choice. They also use dairy free mini chocolate chips.
Generally my family eats the entire plate in one sitting. However, if we have some left, they actually keep pretty well for a day in the fridge in an airtight container. To deter the apples from browning try mixing them with a bit of lemon juice prior to assembling if you know you won't be using them all.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Healthy Apple Nachos - Healthy Snack for Kids
- 5 apples Gala, Honeycrisp or Fuji recommended
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter almond butter or nut butter of your choice
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips
- Wash and slice apples. Arrange one layer of apples on a plate.
- Drizzle half of the melted nut butter over apples. Evenly sprinkle dairy free chocolate chips over apples.
- Repeat process with remaining apples, nut butter and chocolate chips. Serve immediately.
Licorice & Limes
Loved this recipe! We included it in our recipe round up!