Air fryer chicken taquitos are a delicious and healthy twist on the classic Mexican dish. Make them as an easy and healthy kid-friendly meal or as a tasty party appetizer. These crispy and crunchy taquitos are made with shredded chicken and hidden veggies, wrapped in tortillas, and then air-fried to perfection!
If you're looking for kid-friendly, healthy dinner recipes, these air fryer chicken taquitos will be on your dinner table time and time again. Along with pizza, quesadillas, meatballs, and chicken nuggets!
Be sure to check out my breakfast recipes for kids as well as some lunch ideas for teens and kids if you need some more inspiration for getting your picky eaters fed!
What Makes This Recipe Work
- Super easy to make with leftover or rotisserie chicken.
- Use a corn tortilla to make air fryer chicken taquitos or flour tortillas to make air fryer chicken flautas.
- Full of protein and hidden veggies!
- This recipe is perfect for picky eaters, kids, and toddlers.
- They can be made ahead and frozen - cook straight from the freezer!
- Quick to make in less than 20 minutes - great for busy weeknights.
- Simple ingredients!
- Healthier than the deep-fried version.
- Made with Greek yogurt and no cream cheese.
Ingredients You Need to Make This Recipe:
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
Traditionally, these rolled tacos made with flour tortillas are called flautas. If made with corn tortillas, they are called taquitos.
Flour or corn tortillas work well for air fryer chicken taquitos. Generally, flour tortillas are easier to roll than corn tortillas.
Rotisserie chicken is the easiest option if you are looking for a quick solution. Leftover shredded chicken or canned chicken works too.
Ranch seasoning like Hidden Valley Ranch or Simply Organic Ranch works for this recipe.
Greek yogurt or sour cream provides a creamy base for the chicken and adds even more protein.
Carrots are a great hidden veggie. You could also use zucchini or spinach. I used carrots because of their mild flavor and appearance.
How to Make This Recipe:
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cook time and temperatures.
- Start by warming up the tortillas in the microwave (especially if you are using corn tortillas). Then mix the ranch seasoning and Greek yogurt. Add in the shredded cheese and carrots.
- Stir in rotisserie chicken.
- Use a small cookie scoop to add little dollops of the chicken mixture to the tortilla. Tightly roll each tortilla and seal by spraying the end with a bit of cooking spray.
- Place tortillas seam down into the basket and air fry, turning halfway.
Storage, Freezing, Make-Ahead, and Reheating Tips
- Storage: Store leftover air fryer chicken taquitos in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Assembled uncooked taquitos and put them in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months and make them baked straight from frozen - no need to thaw.
- Make Ahead: Ingredients may be assembled for up to 1 day before air frying. You may consider rolling the tortillas the day of cooking to ensure the tortillas do not get soggy.
- Reheating: Air fry leftovers for about 3-5 minutes at 370F for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Expert Tips for Success
- Heat up tortillas in the microwave with a damp paper towel for 30 seconds before assembling. This makes them easier to roll.
- When assembling homemade taquitos, mix the chicken with the Greek yogurt dip. Don't layer them in the tortilla or else the chicken will dry out.
- Do not over-fill the tortillas or they will not roll.
- Flip taquitos over halfway to crisp both sides.
Serving and Customization Ideas
- Serve with dipping sauces like salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
- Meat: Ground beef, turkey, or pork also work.
- Spicy: To make spicy, add some hot sauce or chopped jalapenos.
- Vegetarian: Substitute chicken for black beans, pinto beans, tofu, corn, or tempeh.
- Vegan: Use plant-based meat, beans or tofu, vegan yogurt, vegan ranch, and vegan cheese.
Air fry taquitos for 8 minutes per side at 370F. Frozen taquitos need to be cooked for 11-13 minutes per side at 370F.
If the tortilla is not crispy you have not cooked them long enough. Add more time in one-minute increments until the tortillas are crispy.
Air fryer chicken taquitos can be made straight from the freezer by adding an additional 3-5 minutes per side or until heated through.
Do not overstuff as that makes the homemade taquitos harder to roll and they do not heat through thoroughly.
Spray the end of the tortilla with a bit of cooking spray to seal the taquito. Also, ensure that you place them seam-side down in the basket.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
EASY Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos with Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken cooked
- 2 medium carrots diced extra fine
- ½ packet Ranch dressing
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup shredded taco cheese
- 10 taco-sized flour tortillas
- Mix ½ Ranch dressing mix with 1 cup of Greek yogurt to create a ranch dip. Set aside.½ packet Ranch dressing, 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Clean carrots and dice using a food processor. Dice extra fine for a smoother texture. Add carrots and ½ cup cheese to the prepared Greek yogurt dip to combine.2 medium carrots
- Chop rotisserie chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. Combine with 1 cup of Greek yogurt dip and carrots.2 cups rotisserie chicken
- Add ¼ cup chicken mixture to each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla tightly and spray the end with a bit of cooking spray to hold a seal.10 taco-sized flour tortillas, ¾ cup shredded taco cheese
- Air fry at 370F for 8 minutes, turning halfway. Taquitos will be done when they are golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Just made this tonight and it was a hit. All the kids and even the hubby enjoyed it. Easy to assemble, and great for a quick weeknight meal! I used left over chicken from the rotisserie chicken we had last night.
I'm so glad your family liked it Courtney! Thanks for your review and comment!
This was so delicious, and easy. I rarely find something everyone enjoys and this was a hit all around!
I'm so glad you enjoyed!
What size tortillas?
I usually use the taco-sized but you can use whatever you have on hand. Smaller ones may take a little less time and burrito-sized ones may take longer. Hope that helps!
Do you think sour cream would be an ok substitute for the greek yogurt to try and cut out more carbs?
absolutely! I think it would work just as well.
Made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS!!! My 3 year old loved!!!
That is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this with me.
Did you mean ranch dressing dip in step one, not Greek yogurt dip? If so, what do we do with the yogurt?
the Greek yogurt dip is made with ranch dressing mix and Greek yogurt then mixed together with the other ingredients. You will use half in the rollups and can reserve half for later use. Hope that helps!