Air fryer sweet potatoes are a delicious side dish your family will love. I will show you three different ways to air fry them including my favorite version, rounds!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Rounds are Delicious!
Sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile foods around! I love using them in egg muffins or adding them as a side dish to meatloaf!
I’ve even been known to bake sweet potato brownies or even having one for breakfast!
Full of vitamins with a bit of natural sweetness, this power packed veggie is definitely a staple in our home! Even our picky eaters gobble these up.
Nothing beats that air fryer crisp! Air frying veggies is a great way to get your family to love veggies without all of the oil of frying.
Ingredients – What You Need To Make Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes can be made into delicious rounds with only a few simple ingredients like cinnamon, coconut oil and salt and pepper.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
Here is how you make them - for each version, start by washing the outside skin of sweet potatoes. Then, determine which fry shape you want to go with.
How to Make Wedges or Fries
When making sweet potato fries, start by cutting the small ends and then cut the sweet potato in half. Then, put each half on its side and cutting four slices, making the wedges about the size of your pinkie finger.
How to Make Rounds in the Air Fryer
Slice sweet potatoes equally to about ¼ inch for sweet potato rounds. If you want to make chips, you will need to use a mandoline and slice very thin!
Air Frying a Whole Sweet Potato
Cooking the whole thing super easy. Once your potato is cleaned, use a fork to poke several holes around it. Then, wrap your potato in foil and it is ready to cook.
Helpful Tips For Air Frying Sweet Potatoes
Tip 1: Keep the skin
You do not have to peel the potatoes. You will want to make sure you thoroughly scrub them though. Healthline wrote a great article about the nutrition in sweet potato skin.
Tip 2: Make Space and Cook in Batches
When loading up your air fryer, do not overcrowd the basket. Make sure the rounds or wedges have space and cook in batches if necessary.
Tip 3: Consistent Sizing
Whether making sweet potato rounds or wedges, be sure to cut with consistent sizing and diameter. If sizing varies you will need to adjust cooking time.
Tip 4: Prep Ahead for Ease + Convenience
Frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer are a great healthy side dish to prep, freeze and use when you are ready. Wash and cut sweet potatoes then place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place cookie sheet in the freezer and allow the potatoes to freeze. Once frozen, store in a freezer safe bag for up to 6 months.
Other Healthy Air Fryer Veggie Side Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Sweet Potato Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
- Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Want more simple + delicious eats? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Recipe
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Rounds, Fries and Whole Potato
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1-1.5 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- salt + pepper to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- Wash outside skin of sweet potatoes.
- For rounds: Slice sweet potatoes equally to about ¼ inch for sweet potato rounds. If you want to make air fryer sweet potato chips, you will need to use a mandoline and slice very thin!
- For fries: start by cutting the small ends and then cut the sweet potato in half. Then, put each half on its side and cutting four slices, making the wedges about the size of your pinkie finger.
- Add cut sweet potatoes to a medium bowl. Coat with melted coconut oil. Season with spices and toss until well coated.
- Add sweet potatoes to air fryer sprayed with coconut oil spray. Add potatoes in one layer, dividing them into a few batches if necessary.
- For rounds: Air fry at 350F for 12 minutes. Turn up to 400F for 3 minutes. Thinner rounds will cook faster so if you are making air fryer sweet potato chips or haven't cut them to ¼ inch they will cook up faster.
- For fries: Air fry at 400F for 12 minutes.
- For whole potato: Use a fork to poke several holes around it. Then, wrap your potato in foil and it is ready to cook. Cook potato at 390F for 40-60 minutes depending on the size. Add seasonings or coconut oil/ghee after cooked.
If you prep in advance and freeze the potato slices, do you cook them frozen? Or thaw them?
Thank you 🙂
You could definitely cook them frozen, may need to just add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
These sound delicious; however, is the oil necessary? We now have an air fryer simply because we would like to cook without oil, since my husband is on a plant-based oil-free diet. How would no oil affect this recipe?
I haven't tried them without the oil but I would assume that would make them a little dry. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!
Sometimes I use aquafaba from an organic chickpea can and it works pretty well in the air fryer.
These were delicious and also very light!