One pot instant pot chicken parmesan is a simple weeknight dinner that your family will love! The delicious Italian flavors will fill your kitchen up fast – you’ll swear you are at Olive Garden or your favorite Italian restaurant. Healthy, filling, delicious and done in 30 minutes.
Chicken is a weeknight staple in our home (like our favorite air fryer chicken) but if you’re short on time instant pot chicken parmesan will be a super simple choice for an easy dinner!
The Instant Pot is a magical device that needs it’s own spot in our kitchen during the school year! Busy weeknights mean we’re serving up meatballs, hamburger helper, or any other number of delicious recipes we have here.
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy comfort food that is quick and easy to make – great for busy weeknights!
- Family friendly – my super picky kids ate this up with no questions!
- Great for various dietary considerations – it is gluten free, Keto and low carb as written.
- Delicious to make into baked sandwiches – this helps to stretch the recipe from 2 to 4 servings.
- Totally versatile! Add in your favorite veggies, cheese and use whatever sauce your family likes best.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
- Chicken: Cutlets, tenders or thighs are excellent choices for meat.
- Cheese: Mozzarella and parmesan are the classic cheeses for this recipe.
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Heat oil on Saute mode. Season chicken and coat thoroguhly.
Once heated, add cubes to pot and saute for 3 or so minutes, stirring constantly and making sure no pieces get stuck to the bottom.
Add sauce and coat all pieces thoroughly. Follow cooking instructions per the recipe card and watch the video to see how I make this into a delicious sandwich.
- Serving ideas: Add to lavash bread, flat bread or pita pockets to make a yummy sandwich. Also delicious to serve over zoodles, pasta like spaghetti, penne, tortellini, or with rice or potatoes.
- Use an instant read thermometer to ensure you cook the chicken to 165F – this is especially important if it was frozen.
- To avoid the burn notice, ensure that you have enough sauce and even add a quarter cup of broth or water if your sauce is super thick.
- Check your sealing ring and steam valve to be sure they are securely in place (the steam valve should be marked as sealed) prior to cooking.
- Recipe is for 2 servings if not making sandwiches. If making baked sandwiches, this recipe should serve 3-4.
- If serving with noodles be sure to cook the noodles separately. Cooking the noodles in the pressure cooker will not work with this recipe.
- Reheat in the oven at 350F or microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- This lighter recipe is made without breadcrumbs but if you are looking for a classic version, try this recipe for chicken parm. Both are healthy versions of the classic fried favorite!
To make this without an instant pot, chicken can be sautéed in in a pan with 2 tablespoon olive oil and spices for 3 minutes. Coat with a covering of pasta sauce.
Let it simmer over medium-low heat in sauce via skillet for approximately 5 minutes or until cooked through. Always make sure your chicken is cooked to 165 degrees before serving.
Yes, recipe as written is low carb. Serve with zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or eat as is for lower carbs.
Yes, you can make it with frozen chicken. You still need to cube it and be sure that it cooks to 165F temp to ensure that it’s done cooking and safe to eat.
This recipe for Mediterranean Chicken would work well for making this recipe in the oven. Once the chicken is seared add it to a baking dish and cover with sauce. You can add cheese in during the final few minutes of cooking to melt.
If you try this recipe, would you leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? And if you want more simple + delicious eats you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- 1 pound chicken breast 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Basil chiffonade
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Heat up your pressure cooker: hit Saute and adjust to “more”. Wait until Instant Pot reads “HOT”
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot, add chicken and saute for 3 or so minutes, stirring constantly. Be careful not to leave any parts stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Hit cancel to stop saute mode.
- Add enough sauce to cover the chicken. Coat chicken thoroughly by stirring.
- Close Instant Pot lid and cook on manual pressure for 4 minutes on high. Let release naturally for 10 minutes then turn off. Release remaining pressure (be mindful not to put your hand or face near spout). Once released, open the lid.
- Chicken can be served over zoodles with basil and ¼ cup mozzarella cheese sprinkled over top. Let chicken mixture rest in Instant Pot on “keep warm” mode if sauce is too thin upon completion.
- For baked sandwiches, spoon half of the chicken mixture into lavash or other flat bread. Sprinkle each serving with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and basil. Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.