Make this easy and quick Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce recipe for your next game day party or add a spicy kick to dinner! This is our favorite sauce recipe for making delicious buffalo-flavored recipes. It comes together in only 10 minutes with a few simple pantry ingredients!
Why You Should Make This Best Buffalo Wing Sauce:
Here are the top 5 reasons you should make this best buffalo sauce:
- Simple and easy ingredients you may already have on hand!
- Great substitute for buying store-bought from the grocery store.
- Finger-licking good recipe to use in so many recipes (not just classic buffalo chicken wings!)
- Quick and easy recipe done in just 10 minutes!
- Makes the best wings! Whether you air fry chicken wings, deep fry them, or make the crispy oven-baked buffalo wings, this sauce works for any of them!
Main Ingredients and Substitutions
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
Frank's Red Hot Sauce is the base for this wing sauce's spicy, buffalo flavor.
BBQ sauce gives the recipe a slightly sweet and smoky flavor. Worcestershire sauce may be a good replacement for a similar savory flavor if you prefer a thinner sauce.
Subbing BBQ sauce for brown sugar or honey would also create a sweet flavor.
Unsalted butter makes Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce actual wing sauce, not just hot sauce. The buttery quality helps to coat your meat evenly and creates a rich sauce.
Olive oil may be substituted, but I suggest butter for the most authentic wing sauce flavor. It really is the secret ingredient to making wing sauce!
Ranch is a great season to complement wing sauce. You can make this Frank's wing sauce without seasoning, but I love the flavor it imparts.
Garlic powder, onion powder, or fresh garlic would impart a delicious flavor.
How to Make This Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
Melt the butter in a microwave-safe container. You can also use a small saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
Remove the melted butter from the heat and stir in the seasonings.
Stir in the Frank's hot sauce and BBQ sauce.
Stir the sauce until it has a smooth consistency and is incorporated.
What Can I Use Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce On?
This homemade wing sauce recipe is the perfect complement to so many game-day recipes.
Serve any of these recipes with a side of blue cheese, celery sticks, tater tots, or french fries!
You can also use this recipe dipping sauce along with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
- Follow the recipe as written on the recipe card without substitutions for the best results.
- This Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce recipe is thicker compared to other buffalo wing sauces. To thin the sauce, use less BBQ sauce or more butter.
- This sauce is also a more mild buffalo sauce recipe. To give it a spicy kick, make a spicy sauce by adding more hot sauce and less BBQ sauce.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container or a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Reheat it in the microwave or on the stove over medium-low heat or until smooth and warm.
Yes. You will want to reheat it in the microwave or on the stove as the butter will harden when stored in the refrigerator.
This homemade buffalo sauce can be frozen and stored in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Other Delicious Game Day Recipes to Try!
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Homemade Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce Recipe
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot Sauce more for a spicier flavor
- ½ packet ranch seasoning
- Melt butter in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Or melt butter over medium heat on the stove.¼ cup unsalted butter
- Stir in the BBQ sauce, Frank's sauce, and ranch seasoning until smooth and consistent.¼ cup BBQ sauce, 2 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot Sauce, ½ packet ranch seasoning
- Use as a dipping sauce or combine with your favorite recipe that calls for wing sauce.
- Store in an airtight container or a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Reheat sauce in the microwave or on the stove over medium-low heat or until warm and smooth.
- Make ahead up to 1 week in advance and reheat to use.
- To make the sauce thinner, use less BBQ sauce, or use more butter.