Whole30 meatloaf is easy to make with ground beef or turkey! This recipe is paleo and keto approved making it family friendly meatloaf and very versatile!
Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that is just plain delicious. Most often, meatloaf is a crowd pleaser and a family friendly option!
What I love about meatloaf is how versatile it is! You can add ingredients, take ingredients out, make meatloaf compliant to certain nutrition plans like Whole30, Paleo and Keto, the list goes on!
The thing I probably love the most about meatloaf is that it’s generally kid-friendly! I’ve noticed that if I chop them up really small, I can generally even add in a few veggies to my meatloaf to get some extra nutrition in!
This Whole30 meatloaf does just that! It is grain free meatloaf, made with cashews and almonds instead of flour. I’ve also added in fresh salsa for an added flavor kick and just a tad of veggies.
How to Make Breadcrumbs for Meatloaf
If you’re looking to keep your meatloaf Whole30 compliant, you must find a replacement for traditional breadcrumbs. Quinoa is a good choice if you’re looking for a gluten free breadcrumb replacement.
In this case, quinoa will not cut it if we truly want to keep this recipe Whole30 compliant. So we will swap out quinoa and add in almonds and cashews along with some spices.
This recipe is the one I used to create a super easy breadcrumb replacement.
How to Make Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
First add your almonds, cashews and spices to a food processor.
Pulse the mixture until you get a nice crumbly, breadcrumb like consistency.
Note that these paleo breadcrumbs are more moist than traditional breadcrumbs due to the almonds and cashews. As a result, we will use less moisture in the meatloaf recipe to account for that.
If you choose to opt for gluten free breadcrumbs made with gluten free bread, you will want to increase your moisture by adding an additional egg or some dairy free milk. Note that this will make the meatloaf no longer Whole30 compliant.
How To Make Whole30 Meatloaf
What You Will Need To Make Whole30 Meatloaf
Here are the tools I use to make Whole30 Meatloaf:
The Simple Steps To Make This Whole30 Meatloaf Recipe!
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Combine grass fed ground beef, salsa, Paleo breadcrumbs, egg, garlic and spices. I like to use my hands to mix the meatloaf to ensure that it’s not over-mixed.
- If using a mini meatloaf pan score the meat mixture into four (or how many loaves you are making). Add mixture to coconut oil sprayed mini meatloaf pan or meatloaf pan.
- If using the freeform method, shape meatloaf into a loaf form on a baking rack sprayed with coconut oil spray.
- Combine 2 tbsp Primal Kitchen ketchup with 2 tbsp mustard. Coat top of meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaves for 30 minutes then begin checking temperature. If you are baking one full meatloaf begin temping between 45 minutes and one hour. Meatloaf is cooked once it hits 160F when read with an instant read thermometer.
A Few Frequently Asked Questions About Meatloaf, Whole30 and Whole30 Meatloaf
What ketchup is whole30 approved?
Not all ketchup is Whole30 approved. However, Primal Kitchen has a delicious ketchup that is whole30 compliant.
Is ketchup whole 30 compliant?
Primal Kitchen has a delicious whole30 compliant ketchup.
How long should I cook meatloaf?
The cooking time for meatloaf completely depends on how large the meatloaves are. When I use a mini meatloaf pan, I start temping the meatloaf around 30 minutes.
I like to check in 5-10 minute intervals to ensure the meat is cooking to 160F the minimal safe temperature for ground beef.
If you opt to bake this paleo meatloaf in a traditional meatloaf pan then I would begin temping the meatloaf around 45 minutes.
I also will use this free form technique to bake my meatloaf. Ive found this to produce the most moist meatloaf results!
Can you eat ground beef on whole30?
Yes. Grass fed ground beef is Whole30 compliant.
Can you have ketchup on keto?
Not all ketchup is Keto compliant. Primal Kitchen has a delicious keto ketchup that is super low in sugar and carbohydrates. You can also opt for making your own keto ketchup.
What can you eat on Whole30?
I’ve found this guide to be extremely helpful when doing Whole30. I’ve also noticed an uptick in Whole30 approved products in the last few years which makes doing a Whole30 much more convenient.
One of my favorite side dishes to serve with meatloaf are crispy air fryer brussel sprouts! These are also Whole30 approved!
A Few More Whole30 Recipes That Your Family Will Love!
- Whole30 Mediterranean Chicken
- Sweet Potato Hash Egg Muffins
- Brussel Sprouts + Bacon
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Rounds
- Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer
- Keto Avocado Deviled Eggs
- Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Tenders – Crispy Air Fryer Recipe
- Instant Pot Gumbo
- Argentine Chili Lime Red Shrimp
- Easy Whole30 Salmon
- Kale + Sausage Soup with Zoodles
Follow Me On Social Media!
- 1 1/2 lbs ground grass fed beef or ground turkey
- 1-1 1/2 cups paleo breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup all natural restaurant style mild salsa
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- salt + pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Combine ground sirloin, salsa, Paleo breadcrumbs, egg, garlic and spices. I like to use my hands to mix the meatloaf to ensure that it's not over-mixed.
Combine 2 tbsp Primal Kitchen ketchup with 2 tbsp mustard. Coat top of meatloaf.
Bake meatloaves for 30 minutes then begin checking temperature. If you are baking one full meatloaf begin temping between 45 minutes and one hour. Meatloaf is cooked once it hits 160F when read with an instant read thermometer.