You can make a warm & fudgy vegan mug brownie in less than 1 minute with this easy microwave recipe! This moist, single serve brownie in a mug will satisfy your sweet tooth when you need that chocolate fix. Made dairy free and with zero refined sugar using oat flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and sweetened with maple syrup.
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Homemade healthy treats are my thing and the easier the better. You're going to want to add this one to your list of desserts to make, along with oat flour brownies, chickpea cookie dough, and apple nachos.
Why This Recipe Works
- Quick & easy to make, done in 60 seconds and oh so fudgy and chewy!
- Egg free, dairy free and refined sugar free - it's one healthy dessert!
- Budget-friendly: You likely already have these ingredients on hand in your pantry.
- You don't need to be vegan to enjoy this vegan mug brownie! It's full of delicious chocolatey goodness that you will love.
- Easy cleanup! You only need one dish to make this recipe.
What You Need to Make this Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- Flour: I used oat flour and recommend that or using regular or gluten free all purpose flour. I do not recommend almond or coconut flour.
- Maple syrup: feel free to use sweetener of your choice but I love the flavor maple syrup gives this recipe. Coconut sugar, brown sugar, honey, date syrup, liquid stevia or monk fruit sweetener are all sweetener options.
- Almond butter or peanut butter: My favorite nut butters are cashew butter and almond butter from Georgia Grinders. Save 20% on your Georgia Grinders almond butter with code “LYNDSEY20”
- Cacao Powder: You can also use cocoa powder or dairy free hot chocolate mix!
- Coconut oil: Try using applesauce if you want an oil free option.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips: I like using Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
How to Make this Recipe
Below are step-by-step instructions for how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cooking time and temperatures.
This recipe is easy to make in a few simple steps. Grab a large coffee mug and spray it with cooking spray (I prefer coconut oil spray).
From there add all of the ingredients (except for one half of the chocolate chips) into the mug. Mix the ingredients together until they are smooth and resemble brownie batter.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top and microwave for 60-90 seconds, depending on your desired level of gooey-ness.
Topping this vegan mug cake with flaky sea salt is an absolute must! Ice cream, chopped walnuts, yogurt, raspberries, sliced banana, a drizzle of nutella or whipped cream are also excellent toppings.
- Do not overcook! 60 seconds is the perfect baking time to get a crinkly top and gooey inside. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then eat immediately for best and freshest taste.
- Select a wider-base mug, like a latte one. This will help the rising process.
- Make sure ingredients are evenly mixed prior to cooking.
- Lower Fat & Low Calorie recipe: Half the recipe to make a lower calorie serving for one and/or replace use applesauce to make it with no oil and omit almond butter. You may want to add in more water if the batter seems too thick.
- This recipe is made with no milk but if you want to swap in almond or coconut milk for water, go for it!
A mug cake is a single serve cake that is usually made in the microwave. Mug brownies are similar but a brownie rather than cake.
This recipe is made with oat flour and no egg making it perfectly safe to eat!
A 12 ounce or 16 ounce mug work well. Be sure to use a wider, latte style cup that is microwave safe.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you want more simple + delicious eats, please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Vegan Mug Brownie
- 3 tablespoon oat flour
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Spray a large mug with cooking spray or coconut oil spray.
- Mix all ingredients (except for ½ of the chocolate chips) in the mug until smooth.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds until desired texture. Top with flaky sea salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes before eating.