Buttery puff pastry dough is the perfect ingredient to make easy appetizers for the holiday season! These 25 Thanksgiving puff pastry appetizer recipes use simple ingredients to make impressive yet easy appetizers for holiday parties or game day gatherings.
This post may contain paid links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
What is Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry is a light pastry made of flour, salt, water, and butter. It has no leavening agents and is a flaky texture once cooked.
Puff pastry is a laminated dough used to make a variety of appetizers, breakfast, and snack recipes. I love to use it to make puff pastry appetizers like quiche, goat cheese cranberry puffs, and air fryer brie.
Is Phyllo Dough the Same as Puff Pastry?
Although they use the same ingredients, phyllo dough and puff pastry are not the same thing.
Phyllo dough is stacked in thin layers or "leaves" and has very little rise. Puff pastry is rolled and folded making it thicker with a higher rise.
Phyllo dough is great for making mini muffin tin recipes that use the pastry as little cups.
Is Puff Pastry Like Pie Crust?
Puff pastry is lighter and flakier than most pie crust recipes. It is also much thinner resulting in a delicious and crispy golden brown.
Which Is the Best Store Bought Product for a Puff Pastry Appetizer?
Pepperidge Farm is my favorite store-bought puff pastry. It is convenient to use and is readily available for purchase at most grocery stores.
Generally, you can find puff pastry in the freezer section. Some popular name brands like Pillsbury or Pepperidge Farm sell pre-cut sheets.
Trader Joe's also has pre-made puff pastry in its freezer section.
Chopped dates, a drizzle of honey, creamy brie, and flaky puff pastry make this great appetizer a no-brainer for your next party.
These little bites are the perfect appetizer with simple ingredients and a sweet and savory combo.
One of the most easy recipes you can make for special occasions.
Savory hame and cheddar cheese make this simple recipe the perfect tasty appetizer!
Delicious Greek flavors dominate this tasty finger food that works for a simple holiday dinner appetizer.
Cream cheese, spinach, and artichokes stuffed into a delicious cup and baked to golden brown!
Bacon and pizza are the perfect combo when planning savory options for holiday parties!
Heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, and melty cheese make this a fan favorite.
Mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and your favorite toppings with the best crispy crust!
Goat cheese and jam are the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Puff pastry shells are a great canvas for a cheesy tart with delicious toppings.
Flaky pastry and sweet crab create one delicious bite!
Grab a box of puff pastry and make this super easy sausage puff.
These puff pastry cheese straws are wrapped in bacon for the ultimate savory treat.
Spinach puff pastry appetizers are always a crowd favorite!
This recipe is a perfect addition to your holiday appetizer table.
A mix of spinach puffs and cheese rolls in each of these delicious cheesy bites!
Use your favorite fresh tomatoes or even sun-dried tomatoes for this simple and savory tart.
One of the best puff pastry recipes that is bursting with fresh flavors!
Mushrooms and cheese are the ultimate combination for a tasty bite.
Make these for an easy appetizer or even a simple savory breakfast!
This delicious pie is seriously impressive for any special occasion.
Parmesan cheese gives these savory pinwheels so much flavor!
This recipe works well for any season of the year!
Best Secrets to Using Puff Pastry
Here are my top 5 tips for making the best puff pastry appetizer recipes:
- Use store-bought puff pastry instead of making your own.
- Allow the pastry to come to room temperature before making any recipe.
- Use an egg wash over the top of your puff pastry appetizer recipe to create a delicious golden brown crust.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to easily cut puff pastry into 4-inch squares.
- If rolling out puff pastry dough, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to evenly roll it out.
Puff pastry is also known as pâte feuilletée.
When making a puff pastry appetizer, use a fork to pinch the pastry together. An egg wash will also help to seal puff pastry.
Puff pastry has a neutral flavor and is savory, similar to pie crust. This makes it perfect for making a sweet or savory puff pastry appetizer recipe.
Avoid filling puff pastry ahead of time. To avoid soggy dough, pre-bake the puff pastry shell and fill at the time of baking.
You could also opt to make the appetizers and then freeze them until you are ready for use. Most easy puff pastry appetizer recipes can be baked straight from frozen.
Goat Cheese Puff Pastry with Cranberries
- 1 log cranberry goat cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg whisked
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a muffin tin VERY well with coconut oil spray or line with muffin liners and spray with coconut oil spray.
- Cut thawed pastry into 12 equal squares. Cut cheese log into 12 equal pieces using dental floss.
- Place one disk of cheese in each square. Fold up sides around cheese and place into prepared muffin tin.
- Brush tops with egg wash for a golden brown.
- Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Can be served hot from the oven or at room temperature.
- Grease the muffin tin: The puffs tend to stick so you want to use caution when preparing your muffin tin. Spray your muffin tin VERY well or use sprayed muffin tin liners. Try loosening the puffs with a butter knife to easily remove from the muffin tin.
- How to cut a goat cheese log: Use dental floss to cut your cheese log. This will help you to make even, clean slices.
- Assembly tips: Assemble the appetizers either in or out of the muffin tin. I assembled my appetizers in the pan but you may also choose to assemble them outside of the pan and place them in once assembled.
- Use up the extra cranberries: When you slice the cheese log, some of the cranberries may fall off. I topped my wrapped puff pastry with the extra cranberries.
- Serving tips: These appetizers can be served hot from the oven or at room temperature. I've found both to be incredibly delicious!
- Make ahead directions: The best way to make these ahead is to make them and then freeze them. Reheat them in the oven at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Do not make ahead and refrigerate, as the dough will get soggy.