The best healthy vegetarian breakfast burrito recipe that is fast & easy breakfast for busy mornings! Perfect to feed a crowd and a delicious high protein breakfast your entire family will enjoy. Done in just 10 minutes!
When busy mornings hit (think back to school!) this vegetarian breakfast burrito goes to the top of my meal prep list. Hungry kids and teens will love these (and so will hungry adults!)
It also doesn’t hurt that this freezer recipe is perfect to keep frozen or even make into a breakfast casserole! Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it all works!
What Makes This Recipe Work
- You don’t have to be vegetarian to enjoy this burrito! In fact, adding in a bit of bacon or turkey sausage would be absolutely delicious.
- Make it with eggs or without! Easy to make vegan by making it with tofu scramble and no egg.
- You decide what goes in this vegetarian breakfast burrito! It’s a great way to use up what leftover veggies you have in your refrigerator or in your pantry.
- Go low carb or keto by skipping the tortilla and putting the mixture in a bowl! This also helps to make a low calorie version if desired.
- If you like ordering these in a restaurant, they will be even better when you make them homemade! Make ahead burritos are great to have frozen on hand and then reheat for a simple and tasty breakfast.
- Better nutrition and ingredients than the fast food counterparts! Fresh ingredients and delicious texture make all the difference.
Ingredients for This Recipe
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
- Salsa: Do not skip this ingredient! My favorite salsa to use is Green Mountain Gringo (I also use it i my chili and shrimp bowl recipes!) as it lends such delicious flavor to the recipe.
- Cheese: I used Cojita cheese but any cheese will work. You can also omit cheese if you are dairy free.
- Veggies: Peppers and mushrooms are what I had on hand but any veggie you like will work! Spinach, zucchini, potatoes, any of it works!
How to Make This Recipe
This is a step by step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray the skillet with cooking spray. Cook veggies until desired doneness.
Heat tortilla up by placing over top of veggies as they cook, turning once. Remove veggies to a side dish.
Re-spray skillet if necessary and then add eggs. Cook until done and then turn off the skillet.
Add veggies and eggs to a tortilla in a narrow strip. Fold sides in first then roll up tightly from the bottom. Eat immediately or store for freezing.
- Get pliable tortillas by placing the tortilla on top of the egg and veggie mixture as it finishes cooking. Flip once so both sides are exposed to the steam.
- Tips for rolling: Add ingredients to center of tortilla and fold in the sides on the left and right sides. Fold up bottom and roll tightly.
- Freezer Instructions: Allow mixture to cool then assemble burritos. Wrap individually in foil, then in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
- Reheating instructions: To avoid soggy tortillas while reheating, heat frozen breakfast burritos up individually on a cookie sheet on the lowest level of the oven at 400F for about 30-40 minutes, using the broiler function for the last few minutes. Reheat more quickly in the air fryer for 12-15 minutes at 400F. Microwave: wrap in a paper towel and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in some crispy air fryer breakfast potatoes, hash browns or sweet potatoes if you like them. Pinto beans or black beans are a great addition as well.
- Ideas for what to put in your vegetarian breakfast burrito: options like guacamole or avocado, cheddar cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, cilantro, green onions, spicy hot sauce like Sriracha, salsa verde or mild salsa are all good. I’m a huge fan of Mexican flavors in mine.
- Reduce calories by choosing a lower calorie tortilla or opting to skip the tortilla and eat from a bowl.
If you’re vegetarian and still want to get in protein this breakfast or my protein baked oatmeal are great ideas for a healthy breakfast.
This recipe is quite nutritious! Full of veggies, fiber, protein and whole food ingredients, this breakfast will keep you full til lunch.
Truthfully I could eat these for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack! These have eggs and veggies which would indicate they are for breakfast but take it from me, you can eat them any time of day.
If you try this recipe, would you leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? And if you want more simple + delicious eats you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Best HEALTHY Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup peppers
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ¼ cup Cojita cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- 4 8-inch tortillas
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray the skillet with cooking spray. Cook veggies until desired doneness.
- Heat tortilla up by placing over top of veggies as they cook, turning once. Remove veggies to a side dish.
- Re-spray skillet if necessary and then add eggs. Cook until done and then turn off the skillet.
- Add veggies and eggs to a tortilla in a narrow strip. Fold sides in first then roll up tightly from the bottom. Eat immediately or store for freezing.