Pumpkin coffee cake is the perfect fall breakfast! Topped with a delicious pumpkin spice streusel topping, this dairy free, healthy pumpkin coffee cake will be a new family favorite!
Are you ready for fall? Apple cider, leaves, chilly mornings, fall clothes and of course, bring on all things pumpkin!
This recipe for pumpkin coffee cake will become a new fave in your house? It is incredibly easy breakfast recipe and feeds your entire family.
This dairy free coffee cake will be a breakfast or snack that you can feel good about! Delicious, crunchy streusel and all of the fall flavors make this coffee cake absolutely delicious!
During recipe testing, some recipes are more problematic than others. Namely, this pumpkin spice coffee cake which took four times to perfect!
Whether it was not enough pumpkin spice or not enough sweetness, this recipe was definitely a labor of love.
I settled on a little semi-homemade trick for the final recipe – pumpkin coffee cake with cake mix! Ordinarily I would like to make my own cake mix but when I tried a boxed yellow cake mix, it was a recipe hit!
Loving these fall flavors? Be sure to try my Chai Vanilla Olive Oil cake!
A Few Tips for Making Dairy Free Pumpkin Coffee Cake
What kind of cake mix should I use for dairy free coffee cake?
I recommend using either Whole Foods 365 Yellow Cake Mix or Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix for this recipe.
Can I use coconut oil instead of vegan butter?
I tested both coconut oil and vegan butter in this recipe. I found that the coconut oil liquified much quicker than the vegan butter.
When making the pumpkin streusel with coconut oil, the streusel tended to flatten into the cake. If you are looking for a crumbly, solid pumpkin streusel topping, opt for the vegan butter.
What kind of pan should I use for pumpkin coffee cake?
The coffee cake is done when the top bounces back with no jiggle and a toothpick inserted into the top middle comes out clean.
You can also experiment with making this recipe with a bundt pan or even into pumpkin coffee cake muffins!
Can I make this pumpkin coffee cake gluten free?
Gluten free coffee cake is easy to make with this recipe. You will just need to swap out all purpose flour for gluten free baking flour. I recommend using either King Arthur Gluten Free flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour.
What do I need for making coffee cake streusel?
To make a crunchy, flavorful and sweet coffee cake streusel with much less refined sugar, you will need the following ingredients:
- coconut sugar
- Truvia brown sugar blend
- pumpkin spice
- vegan butter
- all purpose flour
I get many of my healthy baking ingredients delivered direct to me using Thrive Market. I love being able to get things delivered fast to my home!
You can get each of the ingredients you’ll need for this and more of my healthy treat recipes at Thrive Market. Get $20 in shopping credit when you sign up for Thrive Market!
Need more healthy pumpkin recipes for fall? Here are a few Momma Fit Lyndsey pumpkin recipes!
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Protein Balls
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Follow Me On Social Media!
Like This Recipe For Pumpkin Coffee Cake? Give It A Try And Share It On Instagram! Tag Me @Mommafitlyndsey!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Ingredients
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 16- oz box yellow cake mix Whole Foods 365 Brand Yellow Cake Mix or Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix recommended
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour add as needed to thicken batter
Pumpkin Streusel Ingredients
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp cup Truvia brown sugar blend
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 4 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1/2-1/3 cup all purpose flour
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8X8 baking dish with coconut oil spray.
- Mix pumpkin puree, eggs, water, vanilla extract and pumpkin spice in a large bowl. Stir in cake mix and baking soda until just combined. Add in all purpose flour as needed to thicken.
Pumpkin Streusel Instructions
- Place coconut sugar, Truvia brown sugar and pumpkin spice in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the vegan butter and stir to combine. Add flour to create large crumbs.
- Sprinkle streusel over coffee cake and place into oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back lightly and a toothpick inserted into the top middle comes out clean. Allow to cool to warm or room temperature and serve.