Healthy Muddy Buddies with Chex are a lightened up version of the original muddy buddies recipe everyone loves! Whether you call it a Muddy Buddy or healthy puppy chow, this easy to make treat is super quick to make and absolutely delicious!
During the holiday season one of our family's favorite snacks is anything Chex-mix related. Healthy Muddy Buddies, classic Chex mix, white chocolate Chex mix, we love it all!
Healthy desserts are one of our favorite things! Once you make these healthy muddy buddies you are also going to have to try these cookie butter cookies, gingerbread loaf or pumpkin cheesecake - they're all amazing!
And if cookies are your thing, we've got a ton of healthy cookie recipes too!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy! Made with Chex cereal, peanut butter and dairy free chocolate, skinny puppy chow is easy to make and so good!
- Beyond simple to make! Healthy Muddy Buddies are one of the first holiday desserts my kids were able to make with me. Use powdered sugar to make it kid-friendly.
- Less sugar, less calories and fewer ingredients than the store-bought version.
🍫 Ingredients & Substitutions
Here are the ingredients you need to make this recipe. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements and the notes below for substitution ideas.
- Chex: To keep this recipe gluten free you will want to opt for one of the gluten free Chex cereals. I prefer the corn Chex for the cereal because I find it holds its shape better!
- Chocolate: To keep this recipe dairy free, I recommend Enjoy Life chocolate chip mini morsels.
- Coconut oil: The traditional Chex mix recipe calls for butter, but in the spirit of dairy free we are swapping for coconut oil. You can choose refined coconut oil to rid of any coconut taste.
- Powdered Sugar or Powdered Erythritol: When I made this recipe I cut the sugar from the original recipe and made two batches, one with powdered sugar (for the kids) and one with powdered erythritol (for me!) You can definitely visually see less sugar, but I'm OK with that since that is the whole point of this recipe!
- Vanilla extract: Helps to enhance that yummy vanilla flavor.
- Powdered or regular Peanut Butter: This is definitely a judgement call on your part. Peanut Butter in and of itself is healthy so I wouldn't worry about adding it in. But, you can use powdered peanut butter if you prefer.
- Sprinkles: Totally optional (of course) but I kind of feel like necessary for the holidays!
🔪 Instructions – How To Make This Recipe
This is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to cook this recipe. The recipe card at the bottom shows the exact cook time and temperatures.
- Chocolate + Coconut Oil: Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Add in Peanut Butter Powder or Peanut Butter: Mix in peanut butter powder or peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
- Chocolate to Cereal: Measure 9 cups of cereal and add to a large bowl. Gently fold the chocolate mixture until well coated.
- Ready to Shake: Divide cereal into two gallon sized bags and add powdered sugar or erythritol. Shake bag until well coated.
💭 Expert Tips and Things to Know
- Storage: Store healthy muddy buddies in an airtight container for up to one week at room temperature. Do not refrigerate as I've found this makes the cereal stale.
- Other names for this recipe: This actually isn't the most helpful tip, more of a fact that may interest you! These are also known as puppy chow, monkey munch, muddy munch, reindeer chow and doggy bag.
Healthy Muddy Buddies Recipe Variations
Healthy muddy buddies are quite versatile and here are just a few ideas for how you can make this recipe work for you and your particular tastes and dietary preferences:
- Keto: Use a keto-friendly cereal like Catalina Crunch.
- Dairy free: Use Enjoy Life chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Peanut allergy: Use almond butter instead of peanut butter.
- Gluten free: opt for Gluten free Chex like corn or rice Chex.
The nutrition for this recipe including calories is included in the recipe card.
Any treat is healthy in moderation in my opinion! I like these healthy muddy buddies because they have less sugar.
According to Google muddy buddies are called puppy chow because it resembles dog food.
If you've made this recipe, would you please leave a star rating and comment below on the recipe card? If you would like more simple + delicious eats please subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for the latest updates.
Healthy Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Chex cereal recommend Corn Chex
- ½ cup prepared powdered peanut butter or peanut butter
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup powdered sugar or powdered erythritol
- Measure 9 cups of cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Mix in peanut butter powder or peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the cereal until well coated.
- Divide cereal into two gallon sized bags and add powdered sugar or erythritol. Shake bag until well coated.
Leave a Reply