These chocolate cake donuts with no yeast are paleo donuts for any season! Topped with glaze and sprinkles these keto chocolate donuts are just delicious!
Who would have thought making donuts at home can be easy? You can also make paleo donuts at home that are healthy!
Ever since I got a donut pan a few years ago I’ve loved making donuts at home! Although I made these chocolate cake donuts with Halloween sprinkles, you can really use any sprinkles for this recipe.
Looking for another fall donut recipe? My Apple Cider Donuts are perfect for fall!
How to Make This Healthy Chocolate Donut Recipe
To Get Started In Making These Mixed Healthy Chocolate Donuts, Gather Your Ingredients!
The Chocolate Cake Donut Ingredients You Will Need Are:
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Sea Salt
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Baking Powder
- Cacao Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Sugar (use Monk Fruit Sweetener or erythritol if making Keto donuts)
- ghee, coconut oil or palm shortening (for the glaze)
- Lily’s chocolate chips
I get many of my healthy baking ingredients delivered direct to me using Thrive Market. I love being able to get things delivered fast to my home!
You can get each of the ingredients you’ll need for this and more of my healthy treat recipes at Thrive Market. Get $20 in shopping credit when you sign up for Thrive Market!
Next Steps In Creating Healthy Chocolate Donuts from Scratch
Once you have all of your ingredients together, you will literally mix all of the donut ingredients together in a bowl. You will start with ¼ cup of unsweetened coconut milk and add more in if your mixture seems dry.
From there, spoon the chocolate cake donut mixture into a donut pan sprayed with coconut oil spray.
Then, bake your homemade donuts at 350F for 12-14 minutes or the donuts spring back lightly when touched.
Once your donuts are cooled completely, mix the chocolate donut glaze together and glaze donuts. Sprinkle with sprinkles prior to letting the glaze dry.
Be sure that the glaze is completely dried before you store.
I like to store my donuts in the fridge. You can also freeze these donuts for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
A Few Frequently Asked Questions About Making Healthy Donuts from Scratch
How Do You Make Healthy Donuts from Scratch?
Making healthy donuts from scratch is much easier than you may think! Rather than frying, healthy donuts are usually baked.
Making healthy donuts is really about choosing healthier ingredients! Here is a list of a few ingredients I swapped to make these paleo donuts:
- almond flour + coconut flour for all purpose flour
- coconut sugar (paleo) or monk fruit sweetener/erythritol (keto) for refined white sugar
- coconut oil, grassfed ghee or palm oil for butter for the glaze
You can also air fry donuts! I’m a huge fan of the air fryer and though I have yet to try this method, I know it will be happening soon.
How Do You Make These Keto Donuts?
To make these keto donuts you can simply swap coconut sugar for monk fruit sweetener or erythritol.
The rest of the ingredients in this healthy chocolate donut recipe are keto friendly.
Here are a few of Momma Fit Lyndsey’s favorite donut recipes!
What Can I Use if I Don’t Have a Donut Pan?
If you do not have a donut pan you can still make healthy homemade donuts! Grab your favorite muffin pan and some aluminum foil.
Section off a piece of the foil slightly larger than the individual muffin sections. Place into the muffin pan and pull up a bit of aluminum foil to create a center.
You can add the batter to the muffin pan and bake the same as with a donut pan.
Can I Use Coconut Flour Instead of Almond Flour?
There are certainly some great coconut flour donut recipes out on the web. My personal preference is almond flour with a small amount of coconut flour.
Almond flour is much more moist than coconut flour. I prefer to work with almond flour primarily as I find it yield more moist products.
If you do only have coconut on hand, I would suggest using a tried and true recipe like this one from Feasting on Fruit.
Try These Other Healthy Desserts + Treats From Momma Fit Lyndsey
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Healthy Twix Cookie Bars
- Healthy Blackberry Cobbler
- Lemon Blueberry Bars
- No Bake Healthy Cheesecake
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Fat Bombs
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Snickerdoodles
- Honey Crisp Apple Pie Bars
- Almond Flour Mixed Berry Scones
Follow Me On Social Media!
Like This Recipe For Chocolate Cake Donuts? Give It A Try And Share It On Instagram! Tag Me @Mommafitlyndsey!
Chocolate Cake Donuts (Keto + Paleo)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk more if mixture seems dry.
- 2 tablespoon Lily's chocolate
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- ¼ cup ghee coconut oil or palm shortening
- ¼ cup erythritol or coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all donut ingredients together.
- Spray donut pan with coconut spray. Use a spoon, a quart sized bag or a frosting bag to pipe donuts into prepared donut pan filling approximately ⅔ of the way. Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes or until they spring back lightly when touched. Allow donuts to cool in pan for 5 minutes then move to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Allow donuts to completely cool before dipping donuts in glaze.
- Remove from heat and dip donuts into glaze. Dip both sides twice and sprinkle with sprinkles. Let dry completely before storing.